This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

So here we are, again. The rush of freshers has worn off, Halloween is sadly over, all the pubs are closed and dormcest is getting complicated. On the plus side, friendships are being made and those who did DTR are having a fab time cuddling and watching Netflix (lucky them). Nevermind, the rest of us have books to survive lockdown 2.0. Here are some of the very best to read in-between Zoom classes from your bed, whilst also giving you bragging rights at the Christmas dinner table.

Classics

Perfect for fans of Austen, Rebecca and Downton Abbey

1. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Classics can be overwhelming and we might sometimes need motivation. The Brideshead Revisited series, which will be on BBC and HBO is in the works, directed by Luca Guadagnino of Call Me By Your Name stardom. The cast also includes Andrew Garfield and Rooney Mara.

2. The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford (1945)

The Pursuit of Love follows the youngest Radlett daughter, Linda as she tries to find true love- at any expense. The BBC adaptation is scheduled to be released in 2021 and Linda is played by Lily Collins, read it soon to feel smug when the show comes out!

Thrillers/Modern Lit

Perfect for fans of Agatha Christie, Gillian Flynn and true crime podcasts 

3. The Night Swim by Megan Goldin

The host of a true crime podcast who never gets recognised in public finds a note on her car, asking to help find out the truth of a closed case of a murdered girl.

4. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennet

Twin African-American sisters born in Louisiana in the 1940s are best friends from birth, except one goes on to live her life as a white woman and no one knows. Commenting on the ideas of race politics, love and the meaning of family, Brit Bennet leads us through the lives of the Vignes twins in a tender and emotive way.

5. White Ivy by Susie Yang

Ivy Lin is a liar and a thief, according to her. She’s also in love with Gideon and the life he represents. When she gets a second chance at being with him, she puts her claws in and refuses to let go, even when a figure from her past shows up and threatens to ruin her facade. 

Poetry

6. Swimming Lessons: Poems by Lili Reinhart

Actress and model Lili Reinhart’s debut collection of poetry touches on anxiety, eating disorders, body positivity, depression, and heart break in a way reminiscent of Rupi Kapur. Her poems on Tumblr provide an appropriate teaser.

Non-ficiton

7. Group: How One Therapist and a Circle of Strangers Saved My Life by Christie Tate 

Group is a candid memoir about mental health, the main character is described as ‘guarded and overachieving’ and was featured in Reese Witherpsoon’s book club recently. Whether you’ve been thinking about talking to someone or just want to feel less alone, it’s a great read.

8. Nothing Like I Imagined (Except For Sometimes) by Mindy Kaling

The latest memoir from comedy writer Mindy Kaling, a collection of six short stories which are both funny and optimistic. Perfect for when the world feels a bit scary (as it often does at the moment).

Romance

9.The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves

A story about a second chance at love. Annika hasn’t seen Johnathan in years until they suddenly bump into each other. Graves makes us question if the ‘one who got away’ can really ever return.

The perils of early Spring might not have to return with this list of brilliant reads. Look after yourself whilst engaging your mind with some wonderful stories, beckoning away the ghost of lockdown 1.0!

Anastasia is a first year student at University of Bristol studying in Law. She loves books, writing, art and music and is passionate about politics. She hopes to swim the English Chanel. You can usually find her in old bookshops, making pasta and smelling candles.
Her Campus magazine