8 Sunny Comfort Films to Get You Through Exam Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

At this time of year, despite the weather slowly getting nicer and the days getting longer, most of us are stuck inside preparing for our assessments. It’s always important to look after ourselves, and when we’re under this much pressure we deserve it more than ever. So, to save you from endlessly browsing Netflix and Prime, I’ve comprised a list of comforting and rewarding films for you to wind down with this Spring:

booksmart (2019)

What better film to start with but Booksmart? Booksmart is a fun and uplifting feminist comedy about two girls trying to fit all their missed high school partying into one chaotic night before graduation. The highlight of the film is the friendship between Amy and Molly, who are flawed but empowering female characters that bring out the best and, occasionally, the worst in each other.

Emma (2020)

This most recent film adaptation of Jane Austen’s classic novel stars Anya Taylor-Joy in the titular role. It is spectacularly stylish, with a vibrancy and symmetry reminiscent of Netflix’s Bridgerton. Whilst it may not provide Bridgerton‘s heat, the chemistry between Taylor-Joy and Flynn is a pleasure to watch, and the cast brilliantly animate Austen’s poignant wit, ensuring that you will finish the film with a smile (as well as the desire to paint your accommodation in pastel colours).

Amelie (2001)

Another visually-stunning film. Amelie is a French romance set in 1990s Paris that revolves around a young woman who performs little miracles for others whilst, fearing heartbreak, abstaining from seeking risk and adventure for herself. Note that if you’re tired of reading and can’t speak fluent French, you may want to save this subtitled film for after exam season.

My Neighbor totoro (1988)

A Studio Ghibli classic, My Neighbor Totoro tells the sweet story of two young girls who have moved to the Japanese countryside with their father when their mother is taken ill. The girls begin to encounter tree spirits from the nearby forest, including the iconic figures ‘Totoro’ and the ‘Catbus’. Whilst the narrative is simplistic and slow-paced, the animation is aesthetically enchanting, helping you to switch off after a long day of studying.

a room with a view (1985)

The second romantic Costume Drama on this list, A Room With a View is an adaptation of E. M. Forster’s 1908 satirical novel of the same name. The story moves from Florence to rural England, following Lucy Honeychurch (Helena Bonham-Carter) and her struggle to find her voice in a society where everything is laid out for her. The locations of the film are breath-taking, and the characters are subtly and brilliantly performed, making for two hours of luscious escapism.

turning red (2022)

As someone who regularly turns to animated comedy in times of crisis, I can confirm that Disney-Pixar’s newest release definitely delivered. Turning Red is a fun yet moving exploration of girlhood, friendship, and mother-daughter relationships and, whilst some of the moments from the film had me hiding behind a pillow out of sympathy for the protagonist, it is a thoroughly warm and uplifting story that portrays menstruation and teenage emotionality sensitively and joyously.

dirty dancing (1987)

Often reduced to a few iconic lines and a remarkably ’80s soundtrack, Dirty Dancing is comforting not only in its fun dance scenes but also in its portrayal of touching relationships and satisfying character development. While the film is frequently fun and always entertaining, it touches on serious topics like class-division and abortion, and the trajectory of the naïve protagonist ‘Baby’ makes the film a moving coming-of-age story as much as it is a romance.

10 things i hate about you (1999)

A ’90s classic, 10 Things needs little introduction. Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, and a fantastic soundtrack and wardrobe. It’s just too good to be true.

If these films aren’t quite what you’re looking for, I encourage you to make your own list of films to keep coming back to when you desperately need to relax. Happy watching!

2nd Year English. I am one of the editors for the Beauty section, send me a Facebook message if you have any questions!