8 Moments In ’Fifty Shades of Grey’ That Will Shock Your Inner-Feminist Into Action

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Love it or hate it, Fifty Shades of Grey is the phenomenon that has got everyone talking. The movie trailer has attracted almost 50 million views on YouTube alone and the book series has sold over 100 million copies worldwide, a figure which, according to UK publisher Random House, makes it more popular than the Highway Code.

Whilst I’ve never been the series’ most ardent fan, I have to admit that until now, I’d never really seen the harm in indulging in Christian and Ana’s erotic exploits. With the film’s release date imminent, I decided to take a closer look at the actual content of the books, and what I found was enough to provoke a dramatic change in opinion. What lies ahead is just a taste of the manipulation, objectification and threatening behaviour towards women that permeates the books and extends far beyond Christian’s bedroom…

1.     ‘You need to learn to manage my expectations. I am not a patient man.’ (…) He’d probably like to beat seven shades of shit out of me. The thought is depressing.’ (Fifty Shades of Grey, Chapter 17)

So for Ana, the prospect of being beaten by her partner does not provoke shock, horror or disgust. On the contrary, her reaction displays a passive acceptance of extreme physical abuse as something that is inevitable, and even justified.  Depressing indeed.

2.    ‘You are coming back to my apartment even if I have to drag you there by your hair.’(Fifty Shades Darker, Chapter 5)

Yep, this is a direct quote from a book that is being sold as a ‘love story’.  If this is romance, I think I’ll stay single, thanks.

3.    ‘So help me God, Anastasia, if you don’t eat, I will take you across my knee here in this restaurant and it will have nothing to do with my sexual gratification.’ (FSD, Chapter 2)

Many fans of the series argue that the books present BDSM and sexual exploration between two consenting adults rather than an abusive relationship. Whilst it’s true that the line between the two can sometimes become unclear, this comment leaves the reader in no doubt of Mr Grey’s motivations, and as he so charmingly puts it, they have nothing to do with the sexual enjoyment of either party.

4.    ‘We’re going to rectify the situation right now.

What do you mean? What situation?”

Your situation. Ana, I’m going to make love to you, now.’ (FSOG, Chapter 8)

Alongside his dismissal of Ana’s choice to remain a virgin as simply a ‘situation’ that must be rectified, one of the most infuriating elements of this exchange is Christian’s frustratingly patronizing attitude as he presents his possession of her sexuality (without, at this point, any kind of consent) as some kind of special concession or favour. What a privilege, Christian Grey has spared a moment of his precious time to ‘rip through’ her virginity and gain ownership of her body. Lucky girl!

5.     You are not just a pretty face. You’ve had six orgasms so far and all of

them belong to me. (FSOG, Chapter 16)

What a charmer. Not only is Ana subject to Christian’s objectification on account of her looks, now she’s his sex object too! This snippet should be enough to challenge those who see the books as facilitative of female sexual empowerment – Ana’s sexual pleasure, along with the rest of her life, is in Christian’s control and on his terms.

6.     Ana: ‘No please. I can’t do this, not now. I need some time. Please.’

Christian: ‘Oh Ana, don’t overthink this’ (FSD, Chapter 15)

This is what happens when Ana tries to refuse Christian his ‘right’ to her body.  He belittles and patronises her, reducing her genuine concerns to the silly prattling of a ‘weak’ and ‘emotional’ girl.

7.    ’’When did you start your period, Anastasia?'(…) He reaches between my legs and pulls on the blue string – what?! – and gently takes my tampon out and tosses it into the nearby toilet. Holy fuck. Sweet mother of all . . . Jeez. And then he’s inside me. . . ah!” (FSOG, Chapter 23)

You were probably wondering when this delightful moment would be addressed. Sam Taylor Johnson, the film’s director, has confirmed that this exchange will not be included in the film – and for good reason. It’s wrong on so many levels, but most infuriating is Christian’s relentless possession of Ana’s body. What if she didn’t want him to remove her tampon? What if she didn’t want to have sex with him full stop?  It doesn’t matter, as long as Mr Grey’s needs are fulfilled.

8.    ‘So you felt demeaned, debased, abused & assaulted – how very Tess Durbeyfield of you. I believe it was you who decided on the debasement if I remember correctly.  (FSOG, Chapter 17)

Here’s an absolute gem to finish us off.  Once again, Ana’s legitimate concerns are dismissed and she is accused of being weak and over emotional. Victim blaming, emotional manipulation, perpetuation of rape culture – its all here!

Photo sources: http://www.fastcocreate.com/3041994/remixed-50-shades-of-grey-posters-sh…

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/newsroom/img/mt/2014/07/50_shades_trai…

Jess is a final year English student at Bristol. Coming from Belfast, one of her favourite sources of amusement are the constant attempts (by friends and strangers alike) to master the elusive Northern Irish accent. She also loves spending time exploring Bristol with friends and sampling the city's culinary and cultural offerings.
Alex is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is passionate about creating an online magazine which is both funny and accessible but also political and controversial. Alex wants to encourage all writers to write the unwritten and not be afraid to voice all their opinions. She is a keen feminist and enjoys having Her Campus as a space for young women in Bristol to express their freedom on and off campus. xoxo