5 Art Activities to get your Creative Juices Flowing this Lockdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Now that we’ve been rapidly thrust into a second lockdown, we’re all asking the same question – how are we going to fill all of our newfound free (albeit alone) time? If you’re looking for something fun to keep yourself busy, have a go at some simple art activities that will get your creative juices flowing.

1) Papier-mâché 

You might not have done papier-mâché since primary school, but now is the time for rediscovery! It’s both uncomplicated and very satisfying, and you also end up with a displayable or even usable item at the end. I recently made one using a cup as mould which I then decorated with cut out words from old books. I now use it to store my jewellery!

2) Colouring books

If you’re looking for a way to unwind and give your eyes a break from all those screens but aren’t up to cracking out the glue and scissors, colouring books for adults are very therapeutic and have also been suggested to be beneficial for your mental health. You can find everything from animals and nature to Harry Potter!

3) Start a sketchbook 

A sketchbook is great because they haven’t go to be a work of art. Having a little sketchbook can be great for the occasional quick five-minute doodle, idea or anything else that comes to mind. It can also be useful to have something small and portable, in case you want to get out of the house at the same time. I use mine for trying out new materials or techniques, so it’s definitely not perfect to look at!

4) Collage or Scrapbooking

Scrapbooking can be a fun way of getting creative, preserving memories and making something nostalgic that you can flip back through later. Old photos, saved train tickets, pressed flowers, thoughts and feelings – whatever you want it to contain. Or, if you have lots of piled up newspapers and magazines, you can do some good old cutting and sticking. The great thing about doing collage is you can literally use whatever materials you have – there are no rules!

5) Fabric painting or sewing

If you’re into fashion, personalising your clothes with paint or embroidery is a brilliant way of making your style more original, and making your fits that little bit cooler. Fabric paints can be found pretty cheaply, or just grab a needle and thread. It’s always worth thinking before you throw out an old item of clothing – you never know, a little bit of pizazz could bring it right back into style! 

These are just a few ideas if you are struggling for inspiration, but the main thing is not to worry about art being perfect. It’s all about experimenting – and finding yourself some fun new hobbies to keep you entertained and optimistic during the lockdown.

Her Campus magazine