Life > Academics

Writer’s Block? Here’s how to overcome it.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

The dreaded part of any writer’s day. The bane of aspiring authors. WRITER’S BLOCK! It could affect anyone at any point, whether you are a seasoned writer or just started on your university assignments. 

According to The Royal Literary Fund, writer’s block is defined as ‘a temporary or lasting failure to put words on paper.’ Your mind goes blank, you simply cannot put words onto paper – or screen. It is fairly common, and you should not feel ashamed to admit it. This article explores several ways to overcome writer’s block.

Firstly, it is important to acknowledge writer’s block. Be open about the fact that you are facing this. This might seem contradictory but write about writer’s block. Explore what you are feeling and put it into words. Write about not being able to write. There, you have just done it!

Well, it is not always that simple. You could perhaps still be struggling. Another option is to ‘freewrite’. We explored freewriting during a seminar at university, and it has been a game-changer. Write as much or as little as you can about anything and everything. It does not have to make sense. Do not stop to edit or reread what you are writing. Jot down random phrases, ideas and words floating around your subconscious. It could be the most absurd piece of writing you ever come up with, and probably would make no sense, but it is really freeing. 

Try your hand at writing prompts, available online. You could choose a super random prompt or go for a specific genre. For example, search for ‘crime writing prompts’ and you could choose one out of millions. The prompts are endless.

Read other peoples’ works or your previous work. You might be hit with a stroke of inspiration. 

Change your setting or background. Go to a park or café and see if the different surroundings inspire you to write. This could also work if you change the room you are writing in. Perhaps you were in your bedroom, move over to the kitchen and see if that helps.

Try doing a physical activity to get the proverbial creative juices flowing. It could simply be a walk down the road or a fancy stroll along a river. The important part is to move your body. If you do not want to go out of the house, try doing your household chores. All of this will get your blood flowing and stimulate your brain – hopefully.

You could also try the opposite if you are overstimulated. Try calming yoga or meditation. This could help focus your mind and get you back on track. 

Last, but not least, it is important to remember that it is okay to face writer’s block. Do not be too hard on yourself. Take a break and come back to the task at hand. Remember that it is a normal part of writing. Waiting for inspiration to strike stands in the way of overcoming writer’s block. Go ahead and start writing now!

Hello, I am Himaya, an English Literature and Creative Writing student. I come from Sri Lanka, and my interests include reading and writing, and just hoarding books in general.