lucius hoyos?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucius hoyos?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Netflix

Why Netflix’s “Wednesday” is the perfect Gen Z reboot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

Netflix’s Wednesday is a supernatural spin-off with a whodunit storyline. It features a teenage Wednesday Addams who is hellbent on writing her novel and solving the case surrounding Nevermore, the school for outcasts. As Wednesday moves in with her werewolf roommate Enid, mysterious murders start happening in the town of Jericho and nothing is as it seems. The twists, turns, and stunning visuals will be sure to make you binge watch the whole show. With Tim Burton as director and Jena Ortega choreographing the viral dance herself, who could miss it?

If you’re someone who loved the 90’s Addams Family films, then Tim Burton’s reboot will not disappoint. From the trailer alone, the show promises a dark tone complete with supernatural horror and the macabre “Addams” humour. There’s a lot about this show that mashes together classic and modern which is perfect for a new audience while still staying true to its original.

Jena Ortega’s Wednesday Addams has a stoic unfazed demeanour and unintentional dark comedy that is perfect for a Gen Z audience. This theme of using the strange and unusual as a tool for comedy is always present in the various remakes of the Addams Family. Die-hard fans will know the 1950’s sitcom used lions for pets and flesh-eating plants to get laughs from the audience. It’s no secret that this generation uses dark humour to cope with societal issues or personal life trauma which is why Wednesday’s character is relatable to this generation. Her parental struggles and strive for independence all fall under the appeal to a teenage audience but these classic coming of age tropes are subverted in Wednesday’s lack of desire to fit in. While this version of Wednesday has been seen before, but this time she’s older and this series gives her centre stage.

As the Addams Family comics are 84 years old, it’s fair to say it needs a little update for a modern audience which is especially seen in Wednesday’s fashion. Her typical black and white collared dress has been adapted to have large lace details and big buttons, but she still has her signature braided pigtails and monochrome wardrobe. (Even the Victorian pinstripe uniform is grey instead of purple.) But she later swaps these out for a chequered knitted vest that could definitely be found in a gen Z wardrobe.

The series may also appeal to the literature buffs as its littered with Edgar Allen Poe references. The poet’s statue is the doorway to the secret society (spoiler alert!) and the school dance –the Rave’n- is a nod to his most famous work. The eagle-eyed among us will notice the immense amount of Easter eggs throughout the show such as “Pilgrim World” being a homage to the performance from Addams Family Values and the signature two snaps from the iconic theme tune. This and many more are why I think Wednesday is such a good reboot, but it makes you think… what will Netflix get their hands on next?

Snapping The Addams Family GIF by HULU - Find & Share on GIPHY
Filmways Television, The Addams Family via Giphy!
Keira Leighton

Brighton '25

Hey, I’m Keira and I enjoy writing, travelling and hanging out with friends. You would most likely find me drinking over-priced coffee while reading something pretentious