Elderly people holding up signs with their dating tips
Original photo by Milly Struthers
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

‘Don’t jump into bed’, Pensioner Tips To Help You Navigate Online Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

Dating apps have become a common way for todays generation to meet new people but a lot of us often have no clue how to navigate the online dating world. With a range of apps making it easily available for single people to find some form of love by creating unique profiles that showcase their best qualities it can become a bit overwhelming.

In 2022, Tinder was ranked the most used dating app but only came out with a 16.51% success rate which is lower than their 21.5% rate in 2021. Despite so many people seemingly using the online dating world to find either a serious romantic partner or of course have just a bit of one night fun, there is little real success. It’s pretty normal to feel confused or unexperienced when attempting to online dating because in honesty there is no handbook that explains the do’s and don’ts. It can also become sometimes awkward asking advice from family and friends who may have dated in a more traditional way but today we are going to change that.

So you have been chatting to someone online and just secured your first in person date with them but you can’t remember when you last went on a date or this is something completely new to you. Luckily the residents from Lottie care home have come to save first date disaster with their best dating tips which I am going to help you apply to the online dating world!

Original photo by Milly Struthers

Ann, aged 91 comes with her quick witty tip of not jumping into bed on the first date. Understandably this useful rule of thumb when it comes to dating in general but especially if this is your first time meeting them in person. When online dating, having open discussions with the other person on what exactly it is you’re wanting from this interaction is important. As it not only sets the tone from the start on what type of relationship the two of you will have but also if the other person is on the same wavelength, if you are both wanting different things then it saves you both wasting each others time. However, if you are wanting to online date to simply jump into bed with no strings attached which again is completely ok as long as both of you are on the same page, then do this! Also if you are dating to hopefully be in a relationship and the date is going well and heading in that direction, it is again ok to sleep with them on the first date if it is a mutual want from you both.

As Ann suggests, going for a meal where you can both chat and get to know each other is a nice laid back interaction to have with a complete stranger. Nothing says your first date has to be a five star, three course meal at a Michelin restaurant. Grabbing a bite to eat at either one of yours favourite place is just as good if not better! Also meeting in a more chilled control environment can come in favours if you realise this person isn’t for you during the date as you can part ways at the end of the night.

Elderly people holding signs with their dating tips
Original photo by Milly Struthers

Eileen, aged 95 brings her insight to first date do’s, starting with making them pay. When it comes to any type of date, there is always a blurry line on who should be paying for what. In fairness, you are going on this date to learn more about the person and whether they will be compatible with you so stressing about who should pay for what is something you could really do without. Personally, I think the type of date you go on should be the first indicator on who should be paying for what and also who asked who out! For example, if you was the bold one in making the first move to suggest and plan the date, whether that be going for dinner or to see a film, out of courtesy you should offer to pay as it was your idea. If the person you asked wants to split it then you can either agree or maybe suggest they pay for the second one. Don’t ever expect the other person to pay regardless, especially if this your first time ever meeting them, suggesting 50/50 is always the safest bet and if they then turn round and say you should pay when the date wasn’t your idea… follow Eileen’s tip and perhaps not see them again.

Eileen’s second bit of advice of not letting them go too far is something worth discussing. Online dating has many pro’s when it comes to meeting people but it can also have its downside. People have become much more reserved in showing their true feelings out of fear of judgement or rejection. If you have met someone through online dating and your dates have been going well and there is mutual interest back, showing the person that you do like them will do either two things. They will either tell you that they feel the same and in that case not letting them go too far worked out as you now have strong clarity on what your relationship is with them. Or they will explain that this isn’t for them and in that circumstance, although it can be quite tough, holds a silver lining because you can now let them go in order to find someone who aligns more with yourself.

A selection of elderly people holding up their dating tip signs
Original photo by Milly Struthers

Lastly, we have Alex aged 86 with his unique dating don’t which is to not take your parents. I think this is a no brainer and if you was to go on a first date with someone and they have bought their parents along, honestly run and don’t look back. But this ties in nicely of how to bring up to your family that you’ve met someone online because how do you even explain it? “Hey mum, I’ve got someone coming over with me for dinner tonight I would like you to meet as we have been dating a while since we’ve met off hinge”. Firstly, just know that when you do potentially introduce or mention to your family the person you have been dating, they are going to ask where you met them. There seems to be a weird taboo around telling people the person you’re dating is off an online dating app when in reality there doesn’t need to be. When It comes to crunch time where you are telling others about someone you met just be open about it, answer the questions you want to answer and go into as much or as little detail you want. It is your private life after all!

Hopefully these funny dating tips from the residents at Lottie provide as some guidance to your online dating life. When it comes to any dating, always be safe but also have fun and try to experience new things!

milly struthers

Brighton '23

I am a female van traveller with the desire to explore the world and interact with a range of people and engulf myself in new cultures. Reflecting shared female and queer issues across all race and ethnicities within my articles Creating a safe and open space in my writing where individuals can relate or emphasis with what is being written and most importantly feel connected and that their not alone in their experiences.