This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

Please seek further advice from your dermatologist

Everybody has been riddled with this problem at some point of their life. While consulting with a dermatologist is the best option, we have all had our fair share of experimenting done to get rid of dandruff on our own. Whether they miraculously work or not, there are certain things you need to keep in mind while handling dandruff. This article here will debunk some myths while telling you all the basic things you need to know and keep in mind, while treating dandruff. So, dig in!

What is Dandruff?

Dandruff is a condition that affects the scalp. It causes the skin on the scalp to flake and at times, can cause the scalp to itch as well. The flakes can be dry, greasy, fungal or caused my other diseases (click here to know more). Dandruff is not a contagious condition, but it could be embarrassing as they tend to fall onto your body and dress, and could be difficult to treat as well. They are found not just on scalps, but on your forehead, eyebrows, eyelashes, sides of your nose, behind your ears and/or anywhere you might have hair. While mild forms of dandruff can be taken care of with the help of regular shampoos, more severe forms would require medicated shampoos.

Dermatologist Dr Saliny Harikumar says that milder forms of dandruff are found in 20% of people.

Can Oil Reduce or Treat Dandruff?

The debate on whether oil is good or bad for treating dandruff has been active for a while. While some suggest that oils like coconut oil and Teatree oil can treat dandruff, there is not much scientific evidence to suggest that this is true. Dermatologists in general argue that oil can only exacerbate the condition of dandruff.

“Dandruff in essence is a condition that occurs when there is excess production of or build-up of sebum, an oily substance produced by the body. When we supply more oil to the scalp, while it suppresses the flakiness for a day or two, the dandruff reappears with severity”

Dr Harikumar

While pre-shampoo oiling might help for certain dandruff, it depends on the severity of it. Our scalps have microbiomes (made of healthy yeast), and adding certain oil can destroy this bacterial balance and cause further development of unhealthy bacteria on the scalp. This can further lead to more and severe dandruff, or even cause other scalp problems.

How Often Should you Shampoo?

Just like we clean our body using soap, our scalp too requires to be cleaned regularly, but with shampoo as they go between your hair better than soap. Shampooing should be an imminent part of your scalp and hair-care, especially if you have dandruff. Dr Harikumar recommends shampooing your hair once in two days or up to 3 times in a week, depending on your hair and scalp requirements. She also recommends using shampoos with Ketoconazole (an antifungal drug) in them, as they will act against dandruff and the bacteria that thrives in it.

Can Home Remedies Help Get Rid of Dandruff?

“The simple answer is no, home remedies do not help in getting rid of not just dandruff, but any other skin disease”

Dr Harikumar

Using oil only increases your dandruff, and using other remedies like aloe vera on the scalp does not get rid of dandruff. Be it dandruff, acne, fungal infection or any skin concern for that matter, Dr Harikumar suggests seeking your dermatologist’s advice, doing proper treatment and following up with them, as this is what’s going to help you treat your skin concern.  

I'm a postgraduate Journalism student at the University of Brighton. I have a curious mind to satisfy and I find it interesting to write on a variety of topics. I'm aspiring to be a journalist in the near future.