This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brighton chapter.

The choice to go to university has been an amazing one, and I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity and the chance to get a degree in a subject I am genuinely passionate about. It is interesting, as a dyslexic to choose a degree in the study of languages (Linguistics). Most people understand dyslexia to be a disability with reading and writing, which is correct but the way it has been presented in media is completely inaccurate to the general populations of those that are diagnosed with dyslexia. Such as the fact we don’t enjoy reading, which isn’t the most accurate, most people I know that have been diagnosed spend copious amounts of money in bookshops, (including me) and spend a fair bit of their free time enjoying amazing novelists. But due to the representation of dyslexics people often think that I don’t enjoy reading or struggle with it a lot, which I used to, I didn’t learn to read at the age that children were supposed to, but now all I do is read and write and understand how humans and animals understand language and communication. Some do not enjoy reading due to how their dyslexia affects them, and in some extreme cases some people are not able to read or write, but that is a smaller part of the dyslexic population.

Due to my openness about my dyslexia, I have had people ask me some extremely ignorant things and say, ‘How do you enjoy reading books so much if you’re dyslexic?’ It’s like I shouldn’t be able to enjoy anything that involves reading because apparently, I cannot read it. This doesn’t bother me so much, it’s the fact that one in ten 2 people in the UK are dyslexic and we still haven’t taught people about how it works and about how to appropriately ask people with disabilities questions without talking to them like they’re completely and utterly incompetent.

As of 2006 1.2 million 1 children in British classrooms are estimated to be dyslexic, and people still do not have a working understanding of how to approach their education and do not understand how to effectively accommodate to dyslexic children’s needs in classrooms. This has led to the ignorance that I have faced as a dyslexic student in university. It simply doesn’t make sense as it is one of the most common learning disabilities, we know that in a class of 30 students aren’t going to all learn in the same way, but why aren’t dyslexics put into classrooms that teach them content in a way that allows them to not feel rushed to understand it and digest the content.

Dyslexia is a disability, a disability does not mean that you are less able to do things the way someone who was ‘normal’ could, it doesn’t mean that you aren’t able to have the independence that you deserve to go forth and do things that interest you. You do not need to feel the need to be disabled enough to get the support that you deserve.

I also wanted to point out that disabilities are presented in various ways which means that an idealized version of what the disability looks like to you is not usually what most people with the disability are facing, this also includes having good days and bad days, in which tasks feel more manageable and when tasks feel less manageable. It is no reason to believe that the person doesn’t have a disability and that they are fabricating their issues, it is a normal part of being a human being with or without a disability.

Be mindful, of yourselves with the issues that you are facing and the issues that others are facing as no one deserves to fight to feel visible to the issues that they are facing, especially when it comes to something so personal such as their disabilities.

1-https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmeduski/478/6031504.htm#:~:text=2.8%20Dyslexia%20is%20the%20most,one%20dyslexic%20child%20to%20another.

2- https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/news/dyslexia-awareness-week-2022-2#:~:text=Dyslexia%20influences%20at%20least%201,not%20have%20received%20a%20diagnosis.

Savanna Pryce

Brighton '24

Hello, my name is Savanna. I am a student at the University of Brighton studying for an undergraduate in linguistics. I am originally from London in which I was born and raised! I have a lot of passion for the arts and culture, as well as creative writing/reading, languages and politics. I currently write as a creative outlet but I have decided to share my ideas with the world, as well as creating a safe space for women like me who have might have not had the easiest routes into education (shout out to all the dyslexics out there!). Through my time in early education I wasn't aware of my dyslexia, making me and my teachers confused on why I wasn't able to learn at the same pace as the other students in my class. It didn't effect my confidence as I was always creative, but I started to see how it effected me as I got onto my A-levels. I'd love to allow women to feel empowered in their education even though they often go undiagnosed! As well as women of colour as we often never get diagnosed. Aside, I hope you have fun reading my articles, and find some understanding of how other people might approach education.