Thank a Mailman Day: Thank You, Vern!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Have you heard the news? Thank a mailman day is on February the fourth. We want to show our appreciation for that by having our very own mailman Vernon be a part of our celebration. Vern is a people person who is a sweet, funny, and helpful guy. Help us celebrate thank a mailman day with Vern.

Can I have your first and last name, please?

Vernon Smedley.

Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

I was seventeen when I entered into the Marine Corps where I served for twenty-one years and left in the year 1983. While I was in the Marines, I met my wife Angie in Puerto Rico. We have been married for fifty years now, and we have two sons. At that time, there was no rehabilitation for people getting out of the service except cure yourself. I then went to live in Jacksonville, Florida until 1999, where I was working at a post office being a clerk and mail carrier. I left that and went to work for a golf club, and made my way to Gainesville, where I went to Riverside Military School. In 2001, I came here to Brenau University.

What inspired you to become a mailman?

I needed something to do and the money was good at the time ten dollars was a lot of money. After I went through the necessary training to become a mailman, I began to become interested. I just love helping and taking care of people. I remember one time on December 23 in Jackson, Florida, we got four inches of snow that year. The post office told us to not ship anything out because it was unsafe. I decided to go and put over 100 gifts out to the mail, because it was Christmas time and I knew the kids would want their toys.

Did you always want to become a mailman?

No, I wanted to be a pilot, but I did not have the college education for it. I have in the military, flown a T-84, C-130, etc. and was even one who would jump out of planes.

With mailman coming up on the fourth, how are you going to celebrate it?

I am planning on working and taking care of my wife, who is currently sick.

Was Brenau a first choice for you to begin your career as a mailman?

Yes, after military school I was looking for a part time job and I saw an ad in the newspaper for a Brenau mailman and tried it out. I love it, the people, and the students. The atmosphere is like one big happy family.

How exactly does the process work in a mail room?

We have incoming mail from the U.S. postal office. Then we sort out the mail from flats, magazines, student and faculty mail. If anyone on campus has a package, then we scan the info in and have a message sent to their emails to pick up their packages. The UPS, Fed Ex, and DHL all bring in mail to the campus mail boxes. We also have a postage machine to send out mail and packages. We do not give out stamps. That is why we send it off to the postal office. I try to find and use the least expensive boxes and other stuff to save people money. After I had surgery on my shoulder, the security and other carriers comes to pick up the mail for me and take the mail to their proper places. Lastly, we organize with a list of the names of students and faculty.

Thank you, Vern, for taking the time out of your day to do this interview. I wish we had more people like Vern. On the fourth of February everyone stop by to show love to our mailman and for the all services he did for our country. 

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!