She Should Smile More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

I want to start this article by saying that I am not trying to push a political agenda on anyone or offend you in any way. The following article is just my thoughts and opinions on what has been reported.

“She really should smile a lot more,” is what White House representative Sarah Huckabee Sanders said in response to Nancy Pelosi, the Minority Leader of the United States, when she sported a less than thrilled face at the State of the Union address on Jan. 30. Nancy Pelosi has been a target of disrespectful remarks from the Trump administration essentially since the beginning of the race for President. President Trump has even made a lot of the comments and remarks himself, and somehow, they mainly circle back to her appearance. Tuesday evening, President Trump was speaking about his immigration policy, which Pelosi does not support. That part of the speech is the moment that Sanders was referring to when saying Pelosi “Should smile a lot more.”

I don’t know about you, but when I strongly disagree with something being said, I don’t tend to have an ear to ear grin on my face. Sanders also said that Pelosi’s facial expression summed up the attitude of the Democratic party. If we’re going by facial expressions to describe political parties’ attitudes, then couldn’t we just as easily say the Republican party can be summed up to President Trump’s hair? It’s ridiculous. Why is it that politics have gotten to a point where instead of validating a cause with facts, an opposing cause or person is torn down? As for smiling more, Nancy Pelosi, I feel you. I’ve been told that many times. On the brightside, apparently the only thing wrong with your ideas and logic is that you don’t smile when others are saying that “Americans are dreamers too,” so I’d say that speaks volumes.

Thank you for keeping it real Ms. Pelosi.

Yours truly,

Girl with chronic RBF

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!