Regaining My Passion For Writing In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Over the past three years at Brenau, I have contemplated on where my next destination would be after graduation. My plan before I got into college was to move to Nigeria after graduation and become an entertainment news anchor.

After taking a few classes at Brenau, my plans completely changed. Cinderella Literature was the course that changed my outlook on what I wanted to do with my life after college. When I was younger, I loved writing and creating my own stories. It was always an exciting hobby of mine, but as time progressed, I lost my passion for writing.

Taking Cinderella Literature during my sophomore year of college opened my world of creativity up again. After we were assigned to create our own version of Cinderella I received a plethora of ideas before I even began writing. I created a Nigerian version of Cinderella for my writing assignment. Never in my life had I been so excited to write a 10-page paper in my life.  

I would find myself rushing back to my dorm room to finish writing my story. The passion of creating revived my spirit and allowed me to understand my true destiny. I was so excited to start writing stories again. I remembered the feeling and joy from such a young age of typing stories on my old Compaq desktop computer. I remember getting lost in my imagination every time I began to type.  

After the assignment, I realized that I wanted to be a screenplay writer. Over the past two years, I have been in the process of writing two movies. I plan on pitching my movies to Netflix and other entertainment platforms in hopes of becoming a well-known screenplay writer. Later, I plan on directing and producing my own films.

I am a senior on the Her Campus Brenau Writing Team.
Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.