The Reason Why I Don’t Text First

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

You can say that it is ridiculous that I don’t text first, but I have reasons that I am sure some of you believe to be worthwhile. Some people may think that if I don’t text first then the other person shouldn’t either. I understand there are people out there that feel the same way as I do, but here is the reason why I choose not to text first.

The main reason is that it lets me know and feel like that person actually cares about me and wants to talk to me. If someone wants to talk to you they will eventually find a way to get in touch. Whether it is a phone call, text message, or even direct message over social media.

That doesn’t mean they have to text me all day every day for me to know that they care. But hey, we all want to feel wanted and this is a source of how I know. Whenever I do receive that message from a special someone, I literally have the biggest smile on my face!

I have discovered that most of my friends will comply to this because they know it means a lot to me. Now, I will occasionally text a select few people first. I am not totally unreasonable.

On the other hand, I have lost quite a few friendships through this process. While some of you may think it’s silly that I have let it go this far, think about it: would you rather continue the surface-level friendship with someone who can’t text you first to invite you to do something? Or to see how you’re doing since you haven’t spoken in a couple of weeks?

I chose not to continue putting in effort to a situation that was one sided. This has saved me from countless heartaches in the dating world as well. Because I choose to let them text first I know that they find me interesting enough to talk to and actually want to get to know me, rather than throwing myself out there and getting my hopes up with no reply.

This has become a rule I live by. The ones that text me first have acknowledged my personal reasons and accepted that it’s the effort that makes me feel appreciated. If you are like me and feel like you’re constantly being let down, I would encourage you to give this a shot. I started this rule in high school, which we all know is a great whirlwind of wishy-washy people. Ever since, I have found who my true friends are and couldn’t be happier.

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!