This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Ok, so of course we all go back to asking what the general meaning of community is. As simple as we can all think of, we all say “oh well, its just a group of older people or a group of people that come together” which it is–but its as simply a group of individuals who have a feeling of belonging, a feeling that individuals in the group important to one another, and just simply a group. And even without realizing it, that’s what Brenau is all about.

Now, for example, you generally go day by day seeing everyone do their same routine–either having practice, going to clubs, or maybe even eating in the dining hall–and it may seem as if everyone is technically on their own, doing their own thing–which is essentially correct. However, nobody ever realizes that coming together as a community is almost as a domino effect. See, for example, someone from your class gives out a compliment–or just simply uplifts another student, which most of the time makes another student feel at ease to give another student a compliment.

Now, what would I like to gain from the Brenau community? In my own words, it’s commonly getting out of my comfort zone. As I graduated from high school and opened a new chapter in my life, that has ultimately been my goal as a young woman in general. However, it has already been shown for example now, that I know my purpose and I know what to expect from myself. Getting out of my comfort zone has always been a bit of a challenge, but deep down I want to really know what I’m capable of doing without being fearful, or somehow embarrassed and intimidated.

However, not only what can I gain from Brenau, but what can I contribute and/or put forward? Now, even if it may sound cliche–to me it’s worth it. And that’s effort and dedication. For example, joining the Brenau Fashion Network–students out the ordinary needed a secretary for staying up to date with events, guest speakers, and etc and I chose to take charge and take that position. So, when asked what could I do to contribute to Brenau’s community, it’s ultimately, effort and dedication to something you genuinely love.

Junior, Mass Communication major with a concentration in Entertainment Management. Campus Corespondent and Campus Trendsetter for HC Brenau.