This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brenau chapter.

Hey ladies! It is about that time. You all know what time it is. When you walk into Walmart, CVS, or Walgreens and you start seeing a lot more red than usually and a lot more oversized teddy bears than you can handle. When you walk into Forever 21 and they have ruined the whole store with cute outfits splashed with red and black you know you are not trippin’. You check your phone only to find the date is February 10th and you know then. Your heart starts racing, and not because you’re excited, but because now you start to notice every couple in the whole store. You start to miss Him. (you know who Him is) He did you wrong but because Valentine’s Day is sneaking up, you just want someone. UMM..no forget him! An ex is an ex for a reason. It is an EXample of what you do not need in your life.

Don’t worry, your girl’s got you! Instead of curling into a ball on February 14th, wishing you had someone, when it is OKAY to be independent and single, try these fun activities on Valentine’s Day if you are single!

5 things to do on Valentine’s Day if you are single

1. Sometimes you need to just sing it out. On V­day, you and a group of unattached friends can hit up a local karaoke joint and sing your heart out until the crowd boos you off

2. Spend the night with your man crush. Go to Redbox or Netflix and watch all your favorite actors movie. You can drool over him all. night. long!

3. You and a group of friends can have a secret Valentines. Play it like Secret Santa. Put you and all your friends names in a bowl and everyone picks a name. That name is your Secret Valentine. On V­day you will deliver flower, their fav candy, teddy bears, and/or balloons…SECRETLY. And then you guys can all meet up with your gifts, show off what your Valentine got you, and guess who was your Valentine.

4. Treat yourself to something special. Go get a mani/pedi with a group of friend. Go shopping and spend your daddy’s credit card! It’s okay to get yourself a gift.

5. Have a family day. I know as colllege students we would rather do anything but go home, but going home to your family may make your day! If you have a younger brother or sister or cousin take them out on a date and treat them to their first Valentines with you! You guys will have tons of fun!

I know it can be very frustrating to be single on Valentines Day, but do not let that control you. Do not let Him or anyone else take your joy from spending time with your family or friends. I know you are going to feel like you are the only one alone….negative! You are not alone; there are plenty of people feeling how you are feeling! Do not let sorrow eat you alive; get out there and have a good time! Do not compare your love life or your life, period, to anyone else’s. February 14th is just another day, treat it as another day spending time with family, friends, and people you love!

My name is Kenya Hunter! I am a freshman at Brenau University as a Mass Communications major. My focus is journalism!