World Water Day 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

World Water Day is March 22, 2016 and it is a day dedicated to learning about water-related issues across the world and taking action to make a difference. It dates back to the 1992 United Nations Conference on Environment and Development, where the proposal of an international day of recognition of water was given. The next year, on March 22 1993, the first World Water Day was recognized. Here is a list of ways we can show our appreciation for what compromises about 60% of our bodies and 70% of our planet…

1.     Turn off the tap when running water isn’t necessary! Conserving water is essential in order to prevent shortages and reduce contaminated water. One easy change: turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth!

2. Stop throwing things down the toilet or sink! It may sound very repetitive but don’t litter, especially into running rivers, lakes, and oceans. Also, try to help out water contamination by cleaning up any litter you see! 

3.  Stop buying water bottles, and bring your own water with you! Reusable bottles are better for the environment.

4. Use appliances wisely! Energy star appliances use less water and that is a great way to show your appreciation for the scarce water supply on this planet.

5. Take shorter showers. As much as long showers are nice after long days, try shortening them just a bit. Any change will help!

6.  Make sure you’re getting your water’s worth for your laundry. By only washing half a load, you’re wasting a lot of water.