What Your Library Study Spot Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

What your library study spot says about you…

Green Room:

While the mentality of the green room has changed a little due to the new coffee shop, if you “study” in the green room you are most likely an athlete, in a sorority or fraternity, or friends with one of those two groups. For the most part, the green room is a talking-friendly location. The top floor has large tables, which are really good for working in groups. In general, this location is solely about being social, and not really about getting work done. If this were Mean Girls, this would be The Jocks and The Popular Kids.

The First Floor:

The first floor has a couple of sections, and each says something different about you:

• The Tables By LTS: The tables by LTS tend to be people who participate in Crew or people who want to get work done, but still need a bit of social interaction or people working on group projects. 
  • Beyond the windows: On both sides of this floor, once you hit the windows you are expected to be quiet. Although there is no official rule, this is definitely where you will get glares if you pick up a phone call. People who work here are social but are somewhat serious about their work.

The Dungeon:

Technically, there are two levels to the dungeon, the second floor and the third floor. Both have a strict no talking rule, but they each say something different about you.  The second floor probably means that you are social occasionally, but really need to get your work done. If you are on the third floor you are either really, really stressed, it’s finals or you have no social life what so ever. 

Each section has its stereotypes, but don’t think that by sitting in these certain areas you are labeled forever.  Sit where you want to sit, work where you will be the most productive—don’t let my opinions dictate where you sit in the library!

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.