This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

This is the time of year everyone looks forward to: when weather gets warmer, flowers start blooming again, and spring and summer clothing can come out. Yet this year, when the first day of spring rolled around, instead of sunshine in the sky, there was snow falling from it. It’s hard to feel like warmer days are coming when people are slipping and sliding up the Rabb Steps and bundling up to face the wind outside and there’s snow on the ground instead of green grass. So how can the feeling of spring seep through the cold?

Now I’m not saying that its time to break out the shorts and sandals and forget about the temperatures; that’s silly and a surefire way to get sick. But there are still small things to do in order to have a friendly reminder that sunshine is on its way.

One is simple: Wear bright colors! Whether it’s makeup, nail polish, or clothes, incorporating bright colors into an outfit is a small enough way to remind oneself that yes, it actually is spring. Yellows, pinks, light blues—simple enough to incorporate into an outfit. Bright colors also just make people happier, so not only will the colors be a nice reminder of what season it really is, but will just be a giant mood booster!

Another idea is to have a mini indoor beach party. Not all of us can be on a tropical vacation during break, so having an indoor one is relaxing and also brings about a feeling that it actually is nice out. Just break out some towels and fruity drinks, put on your favorite bathing suit, and crank up the temperature. Add music, friends, and spring-summer-themed movies and snacks, and you have yourself your own vacation.

So while it seems easy to just bundle up and avoid the non-spring weather, just keep a positive attitude and remember, the sun will eventually shine and we can all lay down outside and forget about work… maybe.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.