Splashing Success at the Pool Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

If this is your first year at Brandeis, then you might not know why last Saturday night was such a big deal. In fact, only the seniors remember a time when Brandeis actually had a swim team to call its own. Students from every class year, however, dug their swimsuits out from the bottom of their drawers in anticipation of Brandeis’s long overdue pool re-opening. The Joseph M. Linsey Sports Center finally re-opened its pool after a few frustrating years and a 3.5 million dollar renovation.  In celebration of the revamped pool, Brandeis, fittingly, threw a Pool Party. 

Coordinated by both the Student Union and Student Events, the party consisted of a DJ, a mechanical shark, free pizza, open swim, and a relay race.  For the relay race, members of the Brandeis Swim Team, who have been waiting patiently for their own pool, raced for charities. The relay team, which consisted of: Elise Allan ’12, Jason Dick ’14, Herbie Rosen ’12, and Antonio Cancio ’13 won all of the donations for their charity, the Ronald McDonald House. After the race, the pool opened for the student population to enjoy! Games of marco polo echoed throughout the warm pool area and many students took advantage of the diving board to showcase their diving techniques. 

In Gossman, the party featured a mechanical shark and a DJ with awesome beats… too bad most Brandeisians didn’t seem to be in the dancing mood.

The Brandeis Swimming and Diving team have already resumed their activities. If you are eager to jump in, then register for the intramural water polo starting on February 15th or get a great workout in by swimming laps. So suit up, Brandeisians, and have a slashing good time at the Linsey Pool!

Swim lap hours will be 7:15 to 9 a.m., 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. (7:45 p.m. on Fridays). Saturday hours are 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., while Sunday hours are noon to 1 p.m. (women only), 1 to 3 p.m. and 3 to 4 p.m. (men only). so suit up, Brandeisians, and enjoy the Linsey Pool! 

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.