Ross Johnston ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Majors: Environmental Studies, French and Francophone Studies

Minors: Social Justice & Social Policy, African & Afro-American Studies

Hometown:  La Selva Beach, California

Are you single or taken?

Single

What has been your favorite class or professor at Brandeis?

My favorite professor is David Cunningham in the Sociology department and my favorite class has been Eric Olson’s Field Biology because of the exotic field trips we went on, including fishing and night hikes.

What do you like about Brandeis?

I like that there is something going on every day of the week and I like the hyper-involved Brandeis student body because they add both depth and excitement to the campus.

What are you involved in on campus?

I’ve been a Mid-Year Orientation Leader, involved in 3 plays (Cinderella Waltz, Into the Woods, and the upcoming musical biography of Rachel Carson), officer in the Ice Skating Club, Swing Dance Club, Triathlon Club, and Surf Club.  I’ve been involved in the WATCH Housing Clinic (through Environmental Studies department), and formerly involved in SSIS.  I was recently voted in as an honorary member of Brandeis’ chapter of KBG.

If you could describe yourself in six words what would you say or what words would you use?

Optimistic, enthusiastic, involved, humorous, encouraging and supportive.

What is something that people would be surprised to know about you?

I am a Creole language translator for BARCC (Boston Area Rape Crisis Center). I learned to surf when I was 6 years old. I worked at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in the penguin and flamingo exhibits as a feeding program presenter.

What is one of your guilty pleasures?

Pinkberry frozen yogurt and Jamba Juice smoothies.

If your life could have a theme song what would it be?

Realistically, anything by One Direction! 

If you were on a desert island what three things (or people) would you bring?

A snorkle, a sno-cone maker and a hammock

What is your favorite movie or tv show?

Anything Pixar produces is genius and I’m a big fan of French foreign films (that’s why Ratatouille is my favorite!)

If you could be any superhero who would it be and why?

Aquaman because, even though he is the underdog, I think the ability to talk to sea turtles would be pretty cool, although I’m a little biased from working in an aquarium.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Anything beach-related: surfing, swimming, boogie boarding, beachcombing, snorkeling.  When I’m not near the ocean I feel like a fish out of water (pun totally intended, I just can’t kelp myself!).

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.