Picking The Perfect Purim Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Although Brandeis is not notorious for its poppin’ parties or social scene, rumor has it that come Purim, those myths could not be further from the truth. While I am ecstatic about making hamantaschen, listening to the megillah reading, and dancing the night away at Chabad, to be quite honest, I am worried because I have yet to choose my costume. 

Since I didn’t come to school with a trunk full of dress up attire, selecting an outfit from my wardrobe might be a tad difficult. However, I refuse to let my fears get the best of me and am going to be strategic about trying to plan a cute ensemble that is far from boring. If some of you, like myself, have planned trips to the costume store but don’t end up following through due to last minute commitments, here are some options that you should be able to assemble by either using what you have or pooling your resources (a.k.a. your friends’ closets). 

Road Rager:

Wanna stop traffic in your outfit? What about being a traffic light? Wear a black dress, and cut out a red, yellow, and green circle from construction paper. Or use sharpies to color printer paper in those three colors instead if you lack access to the construction paper. Then simply safety pin them to the front of your dress in the order listed above, and there you have it!

Brandeis MVP:

You can always go the jock route by sporting a jersey (maybe even for a Brandeis team) or letterman’s jacket, a skirt, tube socks, converse, and war paint underneath your eyes. If you are feeling like staying on the sidelines you can be a referee instead. Just nix the jersey by replacing it with a black and white striped shirt and wear a whistle around your neck. 

Nautical:

How about bringing back the memories from junior/ senior formal last weekend by going the nautical route? You can wear a striped shirt, an anchor necklace, a skirt and a pair of sperry topsider boat shoes and you’re ready to set sail. 

Meow.

Feeling fierce? Break out the animal prints and be a leopard or zebra. Or go for a less is more approach by wearing a black top and skirt and getting a pair of ears and calling yourself a cat… don’t forget to draw the whiskers (eyeliner is always handy for adding that finishing touch)!

Cinderella Story for Two:

Missing the good old high school days? What about being prom queen! Just wear a pretty dress, tiara, heels and you’re set. Don’t forget to make a sash. If you have a guy who wants to match… perhaps he can be your prom king. All he needs is a suit and crown.

I’m From the Jersey Shore B**ch:

If you feel like going the celebrity route, there’s always Snooki (not too difficult—you just need a solid fake tan, heels, poof, and short dress), Lady Gaga (pretty much anything will suffice), or the Kardashian Sisters (long beach waves, any chic outfit, and heels will do the trick). 

Grab Bag:

Perhaps some of these outfits might not be up you alley… you can always be a cowgirl (plaid shirt, jeans, two braids, boots, and a hat), where’s Waldo (red and white striped shirt and beanie, circular thick rimmed glasses, a pair of jeans, and brown oxfords), or you could channel the 1970’s by either wearing your suavest disco or workout gear: think American Apparel leotard, spandex, off the shoulder sweatshirt, side ponytail, headband, and sweatbands. 

After this helpful brainstorming session, I am feeling much better about the impending weekend. Despite the fact I have not decided what I am going to be, all the pressure of having to think of an outfit on such short notice has been lifted right off my shoulders. So, whether I make it to the costume store or not, that does not matter because either way my first Purim will be fun and fashionable. 

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.
Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.