Partying Smart on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Hello Ladies! Let’s get started: we all feel the excitement of post-midterms party season prancing around the corner. This is the premium time to spiff up, wear that ridiculous Halloween costume, and most importantly, party your butt off before classes become serious struggles again. However, ladies, I must remind you that during this time, despite your impeccable decision making in the real world, you may make some pretty poor decisions, especially consuming highly inappropriate alcohol with your re-discovered best friends.

Regardless of what you say now, you will feel the urge to drink, so here are some eating, partying, and random tips for the lady and her partying tendencies.

What to Eat Before Nightly Escapades:

Domino’s Pizza (Carbs) You must understand that carbs soak up alcohol and that this way your body will process the alcohol better, resulting in a nice, hearty buzz. PS. you’re going to dance your butt off. Literally.

Breakfast Foods (starches!) Same concept. Most breakfast foods (eggs, pancakes, and waffle fries) have starches, which also soak up alcohol. Breakfast for dinner is a def win for anyone. Make it a pre-party tradition if you must and make your friends eat it with you so you allfeel bad about yourselves.

WaterYes, ladies drink a TON of water (as much as you would normally drink for lunch (1 liter) Since alcohol dehydrates you, it is important to stay hydrated. If you don’t your just gonna drink and feel nauseated and dizzy right after words. No fun.

What Not to Eat Before Nightly Escapades:

Antihistamines (like Benadryl, Nyquil, Claritin aka pretty much every allergy or cold medication) These don’t mix well will alcohol.

Acetaminophen(This is a pain killer and is found most prominently in Tylenol, Advil, and Motrin.) This chemical upsets the stomach and might cause you to get sick. Helpful fact, if you need to kill a massive headache before a party, take an ibuprofen which will have the same effect as Advil or Tylenol but will not cause an upset stomach.

Sleeping Pills: Same story. If you take them, take them after you drink. I have no clue why you would want to be a zombie at a party, but just in case.

Caffeine: Alright. This includes but is not limited to Coke, Pepsi, Root-beer, coffee, a Mocha-Frappucino, 5-Hour Energy, and Four Loko. If someone comes at you with a Four-Loko, do not drink it.. In general, caffeine and alcohol are two substances that do two very different things to your body. When they counteract each other it ends in a mess. In all seriousness ladies, men’s bodies can usually handle this mixture, yours usually can’t.

Additional partying tips:

1) Always keep a ginger ale in the fridge: wise advice from the queen of all ladies, Katy Perry. Drink whenever you feel nauseous in small sips.

2) Never EVER mix alcohols. You grab a bottle the night of a party and that alcohol is your boyfriend of the night. It will keep you warm, and make you feel fuzzy and warm inside. Just don’t cheat on it. Never mix it with another type of hard alcohol (like tequila with vodka for example) and never mix hard liquor (like rum) with beer of any sort.

4) Get all your drinks directly from the bar YOURSELF because you are an independent woman. If a boy insists on getting you a drink have him give you a piggyback ride to the bar.

5) If a drink tastes strong, drink it slowly.

6) Use the buddy system. Find someone to keep track of you before you go out! May it be a friend who stays sober, or a fellow-partier, make sure you are being watched and have someone to call if the night doesn’t go as planned!

7) Be aware of your surroundings! Don’t go and party places that you are unfamiliar with. Make sure you feel comfortable in a crowd before you start partying. If you get a bad vibe, leave and try another party.

8) Before you start drinking figure out how you’re getting home. Obviously you’re in a group because your smart, so figure out a time and meeting place in case of emergency and a 100% sure way of getting back home. Never depend on someone to drive you home after the party because you might unknowingly get in a car with a drunk driver and that would be no good. This tip is especially important if you are going to a bar off campus in Waltham, or even in Boston. When in doubt, take a cab.

9) Charge your phone before you go out! This will save you many communications issues later in the night. Most phones belonging to busy college students tend to run low on battery near the end of the day so just plug in before you go out for an hour and that will keep you safe through the night. Not having a phone when going out is plain dangerous.

10) Have a great time out. I always say, “Go out knowing you’re going to have fun and you will.” Make it a great night and stay safe!