Party in the Sukkah

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

For some students, Sukkot is just another one of the random days on which Brandeis has no classes.  However, for many, the holiday of Sukkot is a time of rejoicing and celebration.  To those who have not celebrated or heard of the festival of Sukkot before, there are a few terms you should be familiar with:

Sukkot (sue-COAT) – literally ‘booths’ in Hebrew, a seven-day harvest festival that celebrates the forty years in which the Jews wandered the deserts and dwelled in huts.

Sukkah (sue-KAH) – (plural: sukkot) a temporary shelter that the Jews are commanded to build on Sukkot; it consists of at least two and a half walls with a roof made of tree branches and other plant materials.

Lulav (LOO-lahv) – a bundle of branches, two each from the willow, myrtle, and palm trees.

Etrog (ET-roag) – an Israeli citrus fruit, called ‘citron’ in English.

Two major components make up the Sukkot celebration.  First, a sukkah must be built in which Jews are commanded to eat, sleep, and celebrate.  Many Jews decorate their sukkot with fruits and gourds, and invite their friends and family to rejoice with them.  Secondly, the lulav and etrog must be shaken in all six directions (north, south, east, west, up, and down) as a blessing is recited.  Commentators believe that the melding of the four species of the lulav and etrog symbolizes the unity of Jews with various amounts of Torah knowledge and observance.  For those who want their own set, lulav and etrog packages are available for purchase through Hillel until Wednesday.  The cost is $35 for a set.

As with most Jewish holidays, eating is highly encouraged, although Sukkot lacks in customary foods.  One of the few traditional dishes, holishkes, consists of cabbage stuffed with minced meats.  Most celebrate the festival by eating seasonal fruits and vegetables, such as pumpkins, apples, and squash.

For those looking to attend Sukkot services, conservative services are available in the Berlin chapel, while orthodox services are available in the international lounge.   Both conservative and orthodox services will begin with Mincha at 5:50 PM on Wednesday Oct. 12th.  Shacharit will be held at 9:00 AM with Mincha at 5:45 PM on both Thursday Oct. 12th and Friday Oct. 13th.  On Saturday, Shacharit will be at 9:00 AM and Mincha will take place at 5:00 PM.  Normal services will resume Saturday night with Maariv in the usual prayer locations at 6:45 PM.

Here at Brandeis, Hillel and Chabad are going all out for the Sukkot celebration.  All Hillel (H) events will take place in the Sukkah on the side of Sherman Dining Hall, while all Chabad (C) events will occur at the Chabad house (54 Turner Street).  The festivities are as follows:

Weds. Oct. 12th:
Rainbow Lulav Making w/Triskelion @ 5:00 PM (H)
Sukkot Dinner @ 7:00 PM (H)
Sukkot Dinner @ 8:00 PM (C)

Thurs. Oct. 13th:
Sukkot Dinner @ 7:30 PM (H)

Fri. Oct. 14th:
BUCO BBQ @ about 12:00 PM (immediately following services) (H)
Sukkot/Shabbat Dinner @ 7:00 PM (H)
Sukkot/Shabbat Dinner @ 8:00 PM (C)

Sat. Oct. 15th:
Movie Madness and Sukkah Sleepout @ 7:30 PM (H)

Sun. Oct. 16th:
Sukkot SNL (Sunday Night Learning) @ 6:30 PM (H)
Sukkah Extravaganza featuring “Sukkat Shalom: Learning about Learning Together,” a program led by guests from Hebrew College @ 7:30 PM (H)
Hookah in the Sukkah @ 7:30 PM (C)

Mon. Oct. 17th:
Java in the Hut Annual Coffeehouse @ 9:30 PM(H)

Tues. Oct. 18th:
BUCO Fondue and Games @ 7:00 PM (H)