This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Being stuck on campus got you feeling out of the loop? Here’s a quick update on what’s going on in the real world:

College:  Move over Harvard, there’s a new #1 in town

Everyone always thinks of Harvard University as the elite-est of the elite. However, sites like U.S News and World report use formulas making switches in the college ranking list every year. This year’s champ? Yale University. Nestled in the city of New Haven, Connecticut, Yale is now known as the most selective, most academically rigorous school in the U.S of A. Surprisingly, Good ol’ Harvard didn’t even make the top three.  This year, it pulls in at number five. Watch your back Harvard, there might be some quiet storms ahead.

Politics: Peeping the Presidential Polls

If you don’t live under a rock, you probably have been hearing constantly about the 2016 presidential election. Recently, the discrepancy in polling has become even greater. Donald Trump’s popularity has become more polarized among races, while Hillary Clinton’s ratings are taking a nosedive. However, it’s not all sunny skies for Trump. As of last week, he is voted favorably by only 37% of Americans, and is disliked by at least 59%. While Clinton’s numbers might surprise you, her popularity appears to be among the populations that are least likely to vote. Part of that equation is us- young adults.  Whether you vote for Hillary, Trump, Sanders, or anyone else, make sure you go out and vote!

Outside our Borders: The Refugee Crisis

The Syrian civil war started back in 2011, but has been making reappearance on the radar this past week. Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad has refused to relinquish power of his country, instead choosing to inflict violence upon thousands of civilians. About 4 million Syrians have left the country since the start of the rebellion, and the numbers are growing. However, the countries that they have been fleeing to (Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey) have not been able to support the refugees with work or necessary supplies since the United Nation’s Refugee Agency does not have enough money to fund the vast numbers. Because of the poor conditions that these countries offer, many Syrians are trying to find stable life in Europe. So how do they make this journey? Refugee boats have been a common occurrence. The boats are driven by smugglers, and are unsafe for travel, not to mention illegal. The UN is working to get the refugees to Europe in a safe, legal manner. Hopefully, action will be taken soon before more lives are put in danger.

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.