New Exhibits at the Rose Art Museum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

The Rose Art Museum, which is free and located on campus, is featuring five brand new exhibits that are definitely worth checking out!

1) Light Years: Jack Whitten: This exhibit features an amazing collection of prints and paintings made on a wide variety of materials, ranging from paper, to linen, to canvas.  All the pieces have splashes of bright colors on neutral base colors, making them exceptionally eye-catching. The different artistic mediums used also makes this exhibit really exciting; the very basic concept is made into a beautiful exhibit with striking large-scale works.

2) Minimal and More: 60’s and 70’s sculpture: This exhibit features sculptures varying in size and material, made of every-day elements.  Some sculptures are made of simple materials like wood, stone, bricks, stainless steel, and stakes. The reconizeability of what these are made of but the ambiguity of what they actually are makes them worth viewing, since the interpretations are endless!

3) Image Machine Andy Warhol and Photography: This particular exhibit was one of my favorites. With a combination of the typical Warhol: the portrait of one person in slightly varying bright colors, as well as black and white photography and large prints of patterns. The vast contrast of the work made the exhibit so fun to see. You could spend a long time looking at the different pieces of work and still continue to notice new things.

4) Omar Fast: 5000 Feet is the Best: This exhibit was a documentary style video following a soldier who had returned from war. The narrative style video plays constantly in the pitch black room, leaving you alone with the video and thoughts. The common theme of 5000 feet was used in so many different ways throughout the film.  This exhibit was truly something amazing and worth sitting and watching when you have ten or fifteen minutes.

5) Collection in focus: This exhibit was small but spectacular. It features two unique pieces of art chosen to be featured for this semester. These two pieces were created in a collage form, one used as a self-portrait in a beautifully abstract way and the other another form of self expression. 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like. 
Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.