This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

As I’m writing this, I’m hesitent to reveal to you my laundry secret-weapon. I am one of the privilaged few who, whenever she goes to the laundry room, has her choice of machines–and never has to wait for someone else’s laundry to finish. And even if I forget to make a note of when I put my clothes in the washer, I’m still able to perfectly time my trips so that I never return to find my wet clothes sitting atop the machine. So how is all this laundry magic possible? With Laundry View.

Laundry View lets you select your quad’s laundry room and view exactly which machines are free–the white ones. And for machines in use (red), the site will tell you how much time is left in the load. And if a machine happens to be out of order, the site will give you a heads-up.

I always check Laundry View before I do laundry to make sure I don’t schlep two weeks worth of clothes down there only to find that all the machines are taken. I also check the site throughout my wash time in order to figure out when to return to the laundry room. The site helped me realize that my laundry day–which was Tuesday night–happened to be a very busy time in the laundry room. Since then I’ve rescheduled laundry day.

So there you have it. While I realize sharing this site with you will up the competition for laundry machines, it’s a risk I’m willing to take. 

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.