This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

In honor of women’s empowerment week here at HerCampus Brandeis, I wanted to take some time to highlight one of the strongest women I have met so far on campus– Kiki Tringali. As a midyear, meeting Kiki has inspired some of my future career goals. Here’s a little taste of the girl power we have to offer on the Brandeis campus.

Hometown: Windham, ME

Majors: Politics, American Studies

Minor: Journalism

Year: 2017

Liana Porto: What extracurriculars did you get involved with at during the past four years that helped you to get politically involved?

Kiki Tringali: Last summer I started working at the Blue Lab, a political incubator that helps to support first-time, female, and minority candidates running for political office in Massachusetts. Before I had this internship, I thought I wanted to go into political journalism, but the Blue Lab really honed my passion to work directly in elections. I’ve stayed on through a fellowship for the last two semesters, which has given me the chance to work directly with political candidates. It has inspired me to work on the Hill after graduation.

LP: How has your time at Brandeis helped to create or change your perspective on today’s political climate?

KT: I definitely became more liberal during my time at Brandeis. I grew up in a conservative home but was already more liberal than my parents by the time I left to go to college. My experience at Brandeis allowed me to see the other side of the political spectrum from what I had experienced while I was growing up.

LP: How do you feel about the strength of the female student body on campus? 

KT: Being a part of DphiE has given me such a strong, inspirational group of women on campus. The women who are–and have been–a part of DphiE have shown me what it is to uplift the women around you. I can’t speak for everyone, but I found strong female connections on this campus. 

LP: What made you want to pursue a career in politics?

KT: I went to Girls’ State through the American Legion Auxiliary during my junior year of high school. Prior to that, I wanted to pursue a career in neuroscience. But I realized that politics was something I really was good at, so I worked on a gubernatorial campaign in Maine two years after that. That campaign was what solidified my passion in the field, and the rest is history.  

LP: What is your dream job?

KT: Chief of Staff at the White House–ideally under a progressive female president. After, I’d like to open my own government relations and political consulting firm, and work with first-time female candidates running for political office. I’d also like to lobby for Planned Parenthood, NARAL, and extended maternity leave.

LP: What’s your favorite cause to get involved with?

KT: Ever since the election, I’ve felt really connected to the feminist cause. Watching women come together in support of one another has been incredibly empowering. I’ve begun to donate to Planned Parenthood and NARAL and I’ve been working with women in the Boston area to help get them elected to municipal offices. I’ve never felt sisterhood as strongly as I have since November–and I come from a family of 6 girls.

Favorite…

Song: “Selfish” with Rihanna and Future 

Spot on campus: The American Studies floor

Place in Boston: The Seaport

Professor you’ve ever taken class with: Maura Jane Farrelly or Eileen McNamera

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.