etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Justice Brandeis Semester: A Summer of Opportunities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

What is JBS?

“Somebody farted” was the title of one of our favorite JBS shorts. During the summer of 2011, along with ten other students, I took part in an intensive 8 week course on film and television. It was one of the most hands-on experiences I have had while taking courses at Brandeis and I wouldn’t take it back for anything. The JBS summer programs focus on one particular area of study and includes course work that relies heavily on the interaction of small groups of students. The JBS film program included four weeks of production, editing and writing for the screen and then four weeks working on a short film as a group. We had the opportunity to take on roles such as editors, screenwriters, producers, locations scouts, etc. It was a fast track to understanding the world of film.

What are the benefits and what is not so great?

JBS can do a lot for you. You can take classes in an area of interest and gain major or minor credit, complete a semester worth of classes in two months and spend a summer making friends with people who have similar interests to you. Most of the time, the group of students are all very different but bond over the program. Not only are you offered a hands-on approach to your area of interest, but you learn a little about what it is like to work in the field you may be considering as a career. JBS is an intensive program. There are usually about three classes that run all day, and require 100% participation. Depending on the program, you will commit the majority of your time (both social and academic) to the program and it’s hands-on activities.

What is Brandeis like during the summer?

Brandeis is very different in the summer. The campus is very much bare and there is little activity. Most of your social interactions take place with your JBS peers and those outside of Brandeis. The shuttles do not run and for the most part only Sherman and Einstein’s are open for brief hours. You will have to rely on the commuter rail, buses, and your own car to get around and food is limited. The campus is primarily filled with staff and students taking summer classes. However, don’t let this discourage you. A bare campus is fun and you explore areas that you otherwise may not during the year. Plus, it gives you more opportunities to focus on the program itself

How do I apply?

You can find the application here (http://www.brandeis.edu/jbs/application/index.html). Make sure you give yourself enough time (at least a month) to apply so you can get your recommendations together as well as your personal statements and any other application materials you may need.

Talk to your financial aid counselor if necessary!

Good Luck!

Chastity DeLorme is a art enthusiast, writer, and pop culture lover. She currently lives in Boston, MA, finishing up her degree in Film, Television & Interactive Media with a minor in Business.
I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like.