This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Hometown: Marietta, Georgia

Major/minor: International and Global Studies and Politics/Economics and Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies

Her Campus: What are you involved in on campus?
Jessie Miller: So many things–I love to stay busy. I am the Arts Editor of the Justice, which is by far my biggest time commitment. I’m on the e-board of Liquid Latex, International and Global Studies UDR, volunteer with several Waltham Group clubs, and I was an Orientation Leader this year.

HC: How long have you been involved in Liquid Latex?
JM: Since the very beginning of freshman year. I was the security coordinator last year, so I couldn’t be in the show. But this year I was in the show and it was amazing! So I plan on being involved for the rest of my time here.

HC: What is your favorite thing about being involved in Liquid Latex?
JM: Embracing myself and gaining an entirely new sense of self-confidence! Doing the show was a big accomplishment for me personally, so it was a great experience. Also, I’ve met so many amazing people and I’ve loved working with them, especially the e-board.

HC: What’s the biggest struggle with Liquid Latex?
JM: Planning the event, including problems we had to deal with, got a little crazy. Biggest struggle was probably the weird and incredibly uncomfortable positions I had to stand in while my paint dried. I was sore the next day! Also, I had to learn how to dance, which was an interesting experience. But my group was so talented, supportive and entertaining to work with. Plus, we had an amazing choreographer.

HC: How long have you been involved with the Justice?
JM: Funny story, someone dragged me to a meeting the beginning of freshman year and I had no idea where I was even going. But I started writing for the Features section and copyediting. I’ve been Arts Editor since the beginning of this year.

HC: What is your favorite thing about working on the Justice?
HM: Working with everyone. We are basically a big family and I love being in the office with everyone during production night. As stressful as the job is sometimes, it is so worth it when we finish the newspaper because my hard work and dedication created it. Basically, it’s my life and I love it.

HC: What’s a challenge about working on the Justice?
JM: Usually it is just finding enough writers to cover all of the events every week, especially during midterms or finals. A few times this year writers didn’t turn in their articles, so that’s never good. Training new writers to write arts articles can also be a struggle, but I’m lucky to have some very talented staff. Another challenge is balancing schoolwork with everything I do at the Justice because it is such a big time commitment- and much more fun than doing real work!

HC: What are your summer plans?
JM: Thankfully, I’m staying in Waltham!! Super exciting, even though I will definitely miss my family at home. I’m living in the same house as I will during the school year. I’m looking forward to getting settled in and decorating my room. I don’t think I have a big closet, so I have to get creative about where to put all my clothes (way too much stuff!). More importantly, I want to have make a lot of memories and do things I don’t get to during the school year, like kayaking, camping, going to the Cape, or explore Boston more.

HC: What kind of internship do you have this summer?
JM: I’ll be working at Admissions and interning at a publishing house. I didn’t have the chance to study publishing and writing at Brandeis, but I’m really interested in both, so this internship will be a valuable learning experience.

HC: I heard that you are studying abroad next year, where are you going? What are you most excited for?
JM: TURKEY! I’m super excited to experience an entirely new and different culture. I’ve traveled a lot in Europe, so I wanted to spend the semester some place really unique and Turkey is unlike anywhere else. I’m really excited to learn Turkish and study the Middle East while living there because I love it! Turkey is at a really interesting place right now in relation to the rest of the world, both economically and socially, so it’s a great time to go there. 

I am a Junior at Brandeis University who is passionate about writing and who loves surfing the web for useful articles and having fun doing what I like. 
Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.