How to Transition Your Wardrobe into Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

As fall comes rolling in, everyone needs to prepare for the cooler temperatures and, more importantly, change up their wardrobe for the new season styles. But if you’re worried that you’ll have to throw out all your favorite summer clothes for the new season, don’t fret! There are tons of ways to make what you’ve got in your closet look like an awesome fall outfit that everyone on campus will be wishing they had. Just follow our fall fashion tips! 

1) Add tights to summer dresses.
This is always a fun way of changing up what you’re wearing without going out and spending a bunch of cash. Just throw some tights on under those pretty summer dresses of your, slip on a pair of cute boots or flats, and strut around in your new fall ensemble! People will be too impressed by your new fall look to care that you’re wearing a dress they’ve already seen. 

2) But don’t bring out the tights too soon….
Sadly, this is Massachusetts. The place that’s still cold in April when it’s supposed to be spring. So if it’s still warm outside, take advantage and show off those awesome legs! There’s no need to bring out the tights when the weather doesn’t demand it. 

3) Start wearing fall hues.
Pull out everything in your closet that’s a classic fall color, like red, orange, rust, hunter green, and maroon. So basically, anything that matches the colors you see in the leaves outside! 

4) Make your scarves, you’re new favorite accessory.
A scarf is the PERFECT accessory for the fall. It will update any look you’re rocking and automatically make you look appropriate for the new season. 

5) Layer, but not too much!
Like we said before, add to some tights to your summer dress. Even add a jacket and some other layers to keep you warm in the cool fall weather. But don’t cover yourself up too much! Keeping the littlest bit of skin bare is practical with the always changing weather and additionally, gives a nice subtle sexiness to your outfit. 

6) Mix it up on the bottom.
Cuff your pants. And when you tire of wearing those, wear a pair of leggings with your fall colored separates! It is the next best thing to those summer days when you wore flowy skirts/dresses and had to wear no pants at all. 

7) Get out those rainboots people!!! 
No one wants to be walking in yucky weather, getting his or her feet soaked because they didn’t have a pair of rainboots in their closet. So if you don’t already have some, this is one item you’ll certainly want to invest in. As we trudge into October, there’s no doubt that we have some rainy days ahead of us, so make sure that you’re as prepared as you can be! 

8) And don’t ditch your sandals quite yet.
Pair those summer sandals with a fall outfit and voila! You’ve got an awesome summer to fall transition look that’s perfect for this time of the season. 

9) Throw a blazer on top of your sundress
This is always a fun way to change up how you wear your sundresses. And it goes hand in hand with adding a pair of tights under your dress too! So open you closet and start playing mix and match with your clothes, seeing what outfits you like. Adding a dark, fall layer will give you a little while longer to wear that favorite dress that you just can’t bear to stop wearing yet. 

Rachel is a junior math major and premed student at Brandeis University. She is an EMT and recently joined her school's EMS squad. When she's not busy studying, she enjoys blogging, watching sitcoms, drawing zentangles, folding origami, and eating chocolate.