Gwen’s Guide to Online Shopping

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

I, like many other gals, love to get complimented on my wardrobe. However, sometimes it seems as though everyone is dressing the same (since everyone shops at the same places), and it’s hard to stand out from the crowd. But, I have a solution. Online shopping is a gift from above, and even better are small online boutiques.

And who doesn’t love to get packages in the mail? You’re killing two birds with one stone here, ladies. Here is a list of my favorite (unique) online boutiques of all different price ranges:

1.Modcloth.com

The mother of everything beautiful. This site has the most amazing things – from quirky home goods to designer heels – it’s a one stop shop for all retro, indie, and vintage goods. (But seriously, they have actual vintage things that sell out like hotcakes so if you see one you want, BUY IT). In terms of prices, it’s pretty affordable. Some stuff is $300+, but some of the more reasonably prices stuff is around $30-$70.

2. Net-a-porter.com 

Ah, the site for those who can’t afford straight off the runway looks. Net-a-porter carries designer clothing that has been discounted tremendously and I love them for it. Obviously, since it’s designer, it’s not going to be ~cheap~, per say, but there is a significant discount applied. I love it, and I highly encourage y’all to check out the site.

3.Everours.co.uk

This site is awesome! I have yet to order anything from them yet, but I have SO MUCH stuff in my shopping cart, so it’s about time. The stuff is adorable and (common theme) UNIQUE. I love it, and it’s very inexpensive – although, the currency is in pounds, so if you’re not into that, then you are missing out.

4.Us.dorothyperkins.com

This site is FANTASTIC for anyone on a budget (aka students). They have an amazing sale section that usually has a 15%-20% off EXTRA discount. Um. YAY. They even have a petite section (a plus for us short girls) and a grand range of styles. I highly recommend this British-based boutique

5.Shopruche.com

A cutesy-tootsie shop that has a very vintage like appeal (kind of like Modcloth, in fact, they sell some of the same things). My favorites are the dresses and the home goods (especially the mugs). Very cute, and they put on a TON of sales. There is also lots of interactions with the members. Sometimes, they even put up hair tutorials!

6.Moddolly.bigcartel.com

This site is BEYOND adorable. God, it’s great. They have vintage goods that have been reworked as well as new and unique designs and overall this site is perfect. Sure, it’s a pain because everything is in pounds, but I definitely think it’s a reasonable price to pay for good quality/unique frocks.

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.