Ford Hall 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Two days ago, after twelve long days, the Ford Hall 2015 sit-in ended.  The sit-in was inspired by similar events in 1969 where Black Brandeis students, with the support of members of the community, created a list of demands to the school calling for greater diversity and equality on campus.  In addition, they occupied Ford Hall.  Their efforts were not fruitless and resulted in the creation of the African and Afro-American Department.  However, the students felt that the issues at the core of their demands were not properly recognized. Forty-six years later, the concerns addressed by those 1969 demands still exist at Brandeis.  Thanks to the dedication and hard work of the organizers and supporters of Ford Hall 2015, it looks as though things are finally about to change.  The creation of their own set of demands coupled with the sit-in of the Bernstein-Marcus Administration Center and numerous marches on campus have forced the Brandeis Administration to listen and negotiate for a better future for this campus.  Interim President Lisa Lynch made a statement on the first of this month addressing the movement and promising change.  Hopefully, the legacy of this sit-in will allow Brandeis to fully live up to its values of social justice, proving that it truly is the progressive, inclusive and compassionate place it claims to be.  

I am a double major in Anthropology and International/Global Studies with a minor in Creativity, the Arts, and Social Transformation at Brandeis University. As a native Southern Californian, I have a born passion for avocados and an innate dread of cold weather. In my free time I love cooking (with avocados of course), drawing and writing.