Facebook and Parents: The Ultimate Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

My mother and I love each other very much, but we have had our fair share of fights.  Last weekend an argument arose and the subject was Facebook.  Personally, I have decided I don’t mind having my mother as a friend on facebook, but I drew the line when she asked to have my password.  

We were having our weekly talk, when I began talking about Purim and my mother wanted to see pictures of my costume.  I told her to look on facebook.  My mom was away from home, and therefore her facebook did not automatically log on, and she had forgotten her password.  At this point she asked me for my facebook password. My response was no way.  

The situation ended up turning into a fight because she felt like I didn’t trust her.  But that is not the main point of me writing this article; I’m curious to see if I was being too secretive with my mother.  How do you feel about giving your facebook password to your parents?  I don’t have anything to hide—my mom knows pretty much everything I do, but I just couldn’t do it.  I think there should be boundary.  I don’t give out my facebook password to anyone: friends, boyfriends—let alone parents.  

So tell me, how do you feel about your parents and facebook?  Do you even accept them as friends?  Do you list them as family on the side bar?  Do you give them your facebook password, even if it is just to see some photos from an event?  Leave your thoughts in the comments section, I’m dying to know your opinions.  As for my mother and I, we left it at the fact that we both had differing opinions, and I ended up emailing her the pictures.  

Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.