Elizabeth’s Guide to Surviving Fall Fest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

How to trick your parents into thinking you’re a capable human being…Just kidding! We’re all independent and intelligent young women and our parents totally know that. Buuuut… as my first parent visit approaches, I thought it’d be useful/a good waste of time to make a list of some tips and ways to prepare for your impending doom. (I love my parents so just disregard that comment; I like saying things like that.)

Firstly, it’d be a good idea to clean your room. I know, girls are so neat and clean but FALSE. You don’t want to be the roommate with a messy side. My roommate’s parents came a few weekends ago and I was just a mess, and they don’t feel welcome if your crap is everywhere. Clean it up ladies. Yours moms and dads are excited to see where you’re living and how you’ve created your own home away from home, so let’s just make a pact to be clean? Alright, good.

As a former visitor of Fall Fest (my brother graduated Deis last May) my parents are pretty jaded when it comes to campus tours and all that jazz, but I’m a minority, and your parental units actually care about where you have class and where you hang out and where you do what you do. I would know because as an eighteen year old I am clearly an expert on what parents like based on all my worldly experience as a parent… I’m basically going off on a limb when I suggest that they care. But campus tours are really sweet when it’s based on your experience on said campus. Hopefully its not rainy and you can all enjoy some nice walking around time! Check the Fall Fest schedule as well – maybe there is something on there you parents want to see that you don’t care about… that’s when you run away to your friends by the way.

Speaking of friends, you may question whether or not to introduce your friends to our parents and vice versa. To be frank, I love introducing my parents to my friends it makes for some really awkward interactions and everyone is so forced to be polite its just great. My parents are practically teenagers so this doesn’t actually happen, but if you’re on the fence about how to address this issue, just introduce them to your normal friends! Which don’t exist because this is Brandeis! You have nothing to worry about; all your friends are equally awesome because they’re friends with you. In high school it’s very easy for your parents to be involved in your social life or at least know who is involved in your life and living away from home takes that from them, so it’s a good thing to show your parents who you’re hanging out/studying with. They get that weird parent pride in the fact that you are socially competent. And then they get to make you feel uncomfortable which they love, so it’s a win win for them basically. If it’s something more complicated like introducing them to your boyfriend/girlfriend, maybe talk about it with your partner and see what each of you are comfortable with. No one wants to be ambushed with parents, so just talk it out and overanalyze it because that is what girls do!

Having your parents visit you is actually really fun! Make sure they take you off campus for as many meals possible and don’t pay for anything. Also, if you need some fall shopping, I suggest stopping by the Urban Outfitters in Cambridge because the basement has the best sale selection of all time. Literally. Just remember that mixing your home life with college life can be confusing at first, especially if it’s your first year living away from home, so don’t freak them out. Put on your happy face, clean clothes and make them feel wanted. Give a lot of hugs. Parents weekend is about balance, so when it’s 10PM and your friends are all heading out, you can say sayonara for the night and have a good time with your friends!

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.