Crazy, Crispy, and Crumbly APPLE CRISP!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

As the leaves begin to change colors, the wind nips at your face a bit more, and sweater/legging combos fill up the library; we all are faced with making the transition from a summer-y mindset to a more autumn-y one. To me, this wonderful weather change means throwing on a comfy sweater and gloves, changing my regular iced chai to a steamy hot chocolate, and best of all: fall cooking! One of my favorites (always a crowd pleaser) is a delicious apple crisp. Apple crisp is a bit healthier than apple pie (although that buttery crust is incredible), and can take 15-20 minutes max of prep time. Here is a simple recipe that needs nothing more; all of the ingredients are easily obtained, and create an incredible fusion of flavors. Check it out…you won’t regret it!

Ingredients:
(This recipe serves about 4-8 people, 4 people in my suite but 8 for those who…enjoy small portions)

Ingredients 
• 6-8 medium sized granny smith or Macintosh apples
• ¾ c. flour (any kind, but ½ white ½ wheat adds a nice consistency)
• 1 ¼ c. brown sugar
• 1 stick of butter
• 1 ¼ tsp. nutmeg (ground)
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
• ¾ c. quick oats
• 2 tsp. white sugar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°F
2. Peel, core, and slice the apples – try to make the slices on the thinner size for quicker/ more even cooking. Set these aside.
3. Coat your tray (9×13 if possible) with a layer of butter (use the stick that you’ll be adding into the crumble)

4. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the 2 tsp. of white sugar. Use your hands to ensure that the butter is effectively combined into all of the other ingredients.

5. Spread out the apples on the bottom of the pan, ensuring that there is no uncovered area of the tray.

6. Use your fingers to crumble your mixture on top – try to make it as even as possible (everyone wants some of that crust)! Sprinkle the white sugar around tray and in corners.
7. Throw it in the oven for ~35 minutes (or until crumble has “melted” successfully onto apples).
8. And voila! Enjoy. A dollop of vanilla ice cream would be a wonderful addition in my personal opinion…

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.