Breaking the Brandeis Bubble: Clubs and Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Brandeis can be overwhelming if you don’t understand the school dynamics. Brandeisians like a variety of things and some of their proudest accomplishments come from their participation in clubs and activities. Whether you are a curious freshman or an old timey senior, it is never too late to check out clubs on campus. Some clubs even take you off campus to enjoy the Waltham and Boston area.

Some clubs to take a peek at:

Volunteer Vacations: During February break you are given an opportunity to volunteer instead of wasting away your soul for a week. All activities take place for a non-profit organization. One-hour weekly meetings and fundraisers help students to accomplish their volunteer vacation dreams.

Contact: VolunteerVacationsBrandeis@gmail.com

Skydiving and Future Endeavors Club: This gut-wrenching activity takes place with resources members gain from their proposal to the Finance Board and can run between $100-$300 per jump. Skydivers must maintain some flexibility in their weekend schedules as often times jumps are rescheduled due to weather conditions.

Contact: Join their handy-dandy list serv: https://lists.brandeis.edu/wws/info/jump

Ice Skating Club: Every week these students take you to an off-site location to skate away your heart’s desire. Bundle up and get ready to fall on your butt a lot. This club runs all year-round so you don’t have to wait for the world to freeze over just to move your bum over some iced-over-water.

Contact: skating@brandeis.edu

Paintball Club: These hard-core shooters travel every few weeks to get their paint on. Best part? You don’t have to go out and buy that million-dollar paintball gun to join.

Contact: Join their list serv: https://lists.brandeis.edu/wws/info/paintball

General Tutoring: Another good-for-you opportunity to get off campus and help others. This club pairs students with local public schools for free weekly tutoring sessions. Every subject is needed so email your expertise and help a young sista or mista out!

Contact: GeneralTutoring@gmail.com

These are just a few, but you can also check out other clubs here http://www.brandeis.edu/admiss… or at the activities fair at the beginning of every semester.

Still not convinced Brandeis can take you out of your academic rut and into an extracurricular jam? Try sites that provide students and other adults to meet up and do things they love together in Boston. Meetup is a great way to find friends with a common interest that are not at Brandeis. Just be careful when you are on sites like these; remember you are on the Internet and it is always best to meet up in groups and/or with a friend.

Meet Up Site for Boston: http://www.meetup.com/cities/u…

Another great and maybe less intimidating way to find fellow peers in the Boston area is to check out local events. But how can you possibly know what’s going on in Boston all the time?! Boston.com is one of the best resources for events, news and other related Boston-doings. Check it out!

Above all, it’s best to expand your interests beyond that problem set or five to seven page position paper. So why not do it by doing something you love. 

Chastity DeLorme is a art enthusiast, writer, and pop culture lover. She currently lives in Boston, MA, finishing up her degree in Film, Television & Interactive Media with a minor in Business.
Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.