Brandeis Wants Real Food, But Why?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

For years now, there has been mention of “real food at Brandeis” popping up around campus with terminology entering everyday language such as “local,” “organic,” “humane,” “vegetarian,” etc. The idea of controlling the food you consume is not a foreign one; in fact, its prevalence is regularly increasing in society within fields such as agriculture, technology, fad-diets, and overall health, to name a few. Those who are initiating a movement here at Brandeis for “real food” are attempting to establish one unifying theme: We should all work together in solidarity for real food now because it is nutritious, natural, tastes better, and needs to be a right for every citizen.

First, to define real food: It is food that is successful in at least two out of these four pillars: 1. local, 2. ecologically-sound, 3. humane, and 4. fair-trade. Essentially, each of these pillars ensures that the food you are putting into your body is cultivated with healthy, beneficial incentive rather than mass production ideas. Eating real food keeps you healthier, nourishes you, helps your body to fight disease, and helps promote community and equality, all of which are important to leading a successful, happy life. There is a clear transition felt by the body when moving away from processed foods that are high in sugar, corn, and soy and into those that are more natural variants that have individual identities packed full of vitamins and nutrients to help you remain healthy.

The Brandeis Real Food movement is attempting to work towards this by approaching the situation in as simple and widespread a manner as possible. We are sending out a petition to garner interest for real food here on campus. We are meeting with President Frederick Lawrence, Vice President Andrew Flagel, Senior Vice President for Administration Mark Collins, various faculty members, staff members, and those who have had success in doing this at other schools within our peer group. Our current ask of the university is to get 20 percent local food by the year 2015. Schools within a 100-mile radius are working to do the same, some of them already boasting the 20 percent number. We feel that if we were able to all have access to more sustainable, wholesome food, then as a campus we would be happier, less stressed, and healthier together. If a campus can make such a change, it is inevitable that similar actions can be catalyzed within other communities, especially those that need a hand in establishing foundation for change.

By changing the sourcing of our produce to begin to support local farmers and agriculturists, we can more effectively support the local economy. By working with the Waltham Farmers Market, students who are not on a meal plan or are displeased with the current offerings will have more access to purchasing food that is grown nearby within surrounding communities. By purchasing food that is made with fair-trade and humane practices, we are doing our part in social justice to help those who are working hard to have sustainable, ethical practices continue to receive appropriate compensation. By joining together as a community and institution, we can make a much larger difference together than individually. Join in and play a part in this movement in whatever manner feels appropriate. Real food here at Brandeis is not just a movement; it is a way to redefine ourselves and help others do the same. Let’s get real, Brandeis!

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.