Brandeis Courses: The Hardest and Easiest!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

If you haven’t spent an entire weekend in the SCC cramming for a Bio midterm (just like a few friends and I did recently), where your “study breaks” consist of figuring out which takeout place will deliver the fastest, calculating how many hours you’ve been sitting in the same chair, and wondering how you’re actually going to manage to pass this test, then you’re not a true Deisian. It’s true that most Brandeis students have pulled at least one all-nighter before their freshman year is up, and the work load only gets worse the longer you’ve been here. But before you call up your parents, yell at them for letting you come to this place where some might say, “fun goes to die,” and wonder why you didn’t go to a school where you could easily get your MRS degree, keep in mind that not every Brandeis class is that bad. Just to prove it, I have laid out 10 of the easiest and hardest classes at Brandeis, because let’s face it – we all need a little help sometimes.

10 Hardest Classes at Brandeis

Chemistry 25A: Organic Chemistry
The study of structure, reactions, preparations, and uses of the compounds of carbon doesn’t sound too bad, right? WRONG. Word on the street is that this course, fondly known as “Orgo,” is one of the deadliest classes you can take at Brandeis. However, one student admitted that even though it’s miserable, “when you finally understand a mechanism, it’s so rewarding!” But if this course doesn’t scare you off initially, no fear, there’s even an honors option!

Anthropology 5A: Human Origins
As a lower-level anthropology class, Human Origins is anything but introductory. This course studies the transformation of the human species from our early primal days through our modernization into civilizations, but who knew you’d have to memorize every single bone in the human body just to pass a midterm! When asked about this course, an anonymous student responded with one word: “crappy.”

Psychology 193B: Tests and Measurements
If you’re a psych major, you’ve probably suffered through the astoundingly boring class that is Psych Stats (I think I remember someone actually saying they wanted to poke their eyes out just so they could leave class). Well, champs, let’s just call this course “Stats on Steriods.” If you thought you’d never find a class you despised more than stats, this is it. Everything you disliked about stats comes up in this course, only way more in-depth, including types of measurements, the study of reliability and validity, and other means of measuring and analyzing data. Not to mention Professor Knight is terrifying. To that guy in stats who sat in the front row, always paid attention, and raised his hand to answer questions as if he was getting paid for it, this class is for you.

Chemistry 141A: Thermodynamics and Statistical Thermodynamics
If the name doesn’t sound scary enough, check out the Registrar’s course description: “Prerequisites: Satisfactory grade in CHEM 11a, 15a, and CHEM 11b, 15b, or equivalent.” Let me ask you, poor Gen Chem students, what exactly constitutes a “satisfactory” grade? If I remember correctly, my freshman year hall mates would have minor panic attacks when they were notified that their grades had been posted, then relaxation ensued when they found out they hadn’t failed! With that mentality, how does the administration expect anyone to make it to Thermodynamics before they’re entirely and utterly brain-dead? If you don’t believe me, check the enrollment numbers. It appears that only 22 students made it out of the prerequisite courses with their sanity still intact. 

Physics 31B: Quantum Theory II

A continuation of the arguably equally-heinous class called Quantum Theory I, this is a physics course that doesn’t exactly boost your ego. The general gist of why this course is so hard is because it contains insane amounts of math and concepts that don’t make the slightest bit of sense. As one student put it, “Imagine walking into a class, listening to an hour’s worth of math and understanding two words of it after being a math major for three years.” Enough said.

Economics 182A: Topics in Advanced Macroeconomics
Just like any advanced topics class, enrolling in this course comes along with the assumption that you aced Micro and Macro theory, which have been described to me as “weeder classes for the Economics major, so they definitely don’t make it easy. Not everyone can graduate with an Econ major, you know.” Noted.

Computer Science 29A: Discrete Structures
What do you get when you mix math and computer science? You guessed it! One student commented that this class covered, “tons of hard math subjects…proofs, set and number theory, and other things that I’m pretty sure require their own classes in the math department.” When asked to summarize the class in one sentence, the same student said, “it’s like advanced math for cosi kids…all in one crash course.” Yikes.

Economics 174A: Corporate Finance
Well, I don’t have any witty comments about this class, because I haven’t heard too many less than stellar things about it. Basically, it’s an intro course that covers the theory and application of capital budgeting techniques and capital structure choice of firms (thank you, Brandeis schedule of classes description), but don’t let the word “intro” fool you. Don’t say I didn’t warn you when you realize just how much work you have to put in to be successful in this class. 

Psychology 14A: Comparative Psychology
If you look at the course description, this class looks a little boring but manageable. Remember when I said “we all need a little help sometimes?” Well, in this class, you might need a lot of help. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m a psych major myself, and I don’t mean to make the department look bad, but I think it’s about time dear Professor Wodinsky retired. Given, I have never taken a class with him, but friends of mine have, and when I asked one of them to summarize this class in two sentences, she only gave me two words: “boring and unfair,” then proceeded to start laughing. Her words of advice: “if you’re going to take a Wodinsky class, at least take one with a TA.” 

Linguistics 100A: Introduction to Linguistics
This course is a general introduction to linguistic theory and the principles of linguistic analysis. But what does that mean, exactly? This course if open to first-year students, and when I was a first-year, I never would have imagined a supposed class about the breakdown of languages would include math! Though this class may look simple, be warned…IT’S NOT.

10 Easiest Classes at Brandeis

Politics: 115A: Constitutional Law
If you speak with any law school students, they’ll tell you that Constitutional Law was one of the most boring courses they ever had to take. Doesn’t sound to promising, right? Wrong. At Brandeis, Professor Woll stands in front of the class for an hour and twenty minutes, twice a week, speaking gibberish that boils down to the analysis of core principles of constitutional law as created by the United States Supreme Court. However, you don’t actually need to go to class to do well. In fact, all you really have to do is attend the TA session before each exam, and he will tell you exactly what you need to know. If you want a relatively easy A, take this class. 

American Studies 170A: Conspiracy Theory
I have two words for you: Jacob Cohen. If you haven’t taken a Cohen class, you haven’t had the full Brandeis experience. He is possibly one of the most entertaining teachers at this school. He actually spent an entire class reenacting the assassination of JFK. If you go to his office hours, you will get an A, no questions asked. He makes it clear at the beginning of each semester that he wants his students to enjoy his classes without stressing about the grade. As long as you show him you’re interested in the course material, you’re golden. If you need a little more convincing as to your capacity to do well in this class, Cohen is the favorite professor to many members of the Brandeis baseball team because they always seem to do incredibly well in all of his classes…

Peace, Conflict, and Coexistence Studies: Inner and Outer Peace
This class meets once per week in the Castle Commons for three hours. Basically, two visiting professors from New Hampshire take the train to Brandeis every week to joint-teach this course. For the first hour and a half, one of the professors teaches how to resolve conflicts with simulations and asks to you “reflect” on why you came up with the conclusion you did. Then the other professor teaches you how to sing, meditate, and relax. It’s a very relaxing class, and the only homework outside of classes is keeping a journal of your meditative behavior throughout each week, but make sure you have the capacity to sit still for at least twenty minutes at a time, because if you can’t, the meditation period will be twenty minutes of torture. 

Hispanic Studies 10A: Beginning Spanish
If you want an incredibly, boringly easy language course, this one is for you. Even if you’ve never taken Spanish before, you’ll pass with flying colors. TRUST ME. You’ll learn how to say ‘hello,’ ‘goodbye,’ and maybe a few other words here and there. THAT’S IT. Just make sure you take it with Raysa Mederos (she’s the best!).

Fine Arts 1A: Basic Visual Concepts in Painting
You need ZERO talent, experience, or ability to do well in this class. You’ll learn about colors and how to draw. You know, stuff you learned in elementary school art. Okay, maybe it’s not exactly elementary, but if you show that you’re willing to put in the time to do well, you’ll be rewarded. Plus, it fulfills your creative arts requirement, so it’s a win-win situation.

Physics 2B: Introductory Astronomy
Hands down one of the easiest classes you can take to fulfill your science requirement. Let’s set the stage: you’re an English and Theater Arts double major with a minor in Peace, Conflict, and Coexistence Studies. The last course you think you’ll pass is a science class, yet Brandeis still insists you take one? Is the administration trying to ruin your perfect 4.0 GPA with forcing you to take a science class? No, this is why they offer Introductory Astronomy. You won’t find any pre-med students in this class, so don’t worry, it’s not THAT science oriented. I think you’ll make it through alive.

Theater Arts 130A: Suzuki
If you’re one of those seniors who got an email midway through your first semester senior year telling you that you might not graduate because you didn’t fulfill your requirements, this class is for you. Suzuki fulfills your creative arts, non-western, and one of your PE credits. For 50 minutes a day, three times a week, you couldn’t ask for a better course. As long as you’re willing to sweat a little bit, you’ll have a blast in this class. Plus, I’ve heard Professor Eric Hill is a riot. 

Sociology 106A: Issues in Law and Society
A very interesting class, to say the least. The professor, Gila Hayim, is entertaining, but a little scatterbrained. The class is sometimes difficult to sit through, but you don’t necessarily need to pay attention to do well in the class. Just raise you hand every once in a while, make a semi-intelligent comment, and you’re all set. But one word of advice: don’t ask Gila where she’s from despite her heavy accent…she tends to get easily offended.

Physical Education 43A: Dance, Dance, Revolution
You fulfill one of your PE requirements by playing DDR. Need I say more?

Composition 1A: Composition
Composition is the prerequisite for the first-year writing seminar, which some students place out of. However, for those students who do get placed in Composition, I’d call them lucky! Rather than suffering through a mindblowingly boring UWS your first semester, you get to thrive in a relaxed environment where you learn the fundamentals of writing. I’ve heard you even get snacks in this class that some students fondly refer to as “Kindergarten.”

Well, there you have it! A no-shame, all-out guide to 10 of Brandeis’ hardest and easiest classes. Keep in mind, this guide is not meant to discourage you from taking some of the “harder” classes. Instead, it’s here to give you some extra knowledge when deciding if a specific course is right for you. Don’t be afraid to take one of the harder classes, and don’t be ashamed to take one of the easier classes. Everyone at Brandeis has amazing potential for success, and there are resources everywhere to help you reach that potential. 

P.S. If you had the time to read this entire article, maybe you should consider taking one of the classes on the “hardest” list…KIDDING.

Abigail Katznelson is a Senior at Brandeis University studying Economics and Psychology. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is so excited to have been recognized by Brandeis as an official charter! She is a member of the Brandeis Student Union, Creative Advertising Director for Student Events, and the Vice President of Sigma Delta Tau Delta Gamma Chapter. Her interests include singing, shopping, writing and exploring exotic foods. She will attend Brandeis’ International Business School next year as a participant in Brandeis’ 5-Year Masters program in International Finance.