Andrea Stern ’14 Rachel Gomes-Casseres ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

Name: Andrea Stern
Year: 2014
Hometown: Los Angeles
Major/Minor: Sociology/Journalism

What is the best class you have taken at Brandeis?
The best class I have taken at Brandeis so far is Professor McNamara’s journalism class “Contemporary World Through Print.” McNamara is such an incredible teacher and has the ability to make anyone a great writer. I definitely recommend it!

What are your favorite types of article to write for Her Campus?
I enjoy writing fashion and food-related articles for Her Campus.

Why do you love Her Campus?
I love Her Campus because all of its articles are relatable, fun to read, creative, and insightful!

Where is your favorite place to eat on campus?
I am not a big fan of the food on campus, but I’d say that my favorite place to eat is the Faculty Club.

What are your favorite television shows?
I love tv, especially reality tv… so basically anything on Bravo—how can you not get a kick out of all the drama that goes down on the Real Housewives? I also love Fashion Police (Joan Rivers is fabulous can she please be my adopted grandmother?) and E! News.

Name: Rachel Gomes-Casseres
Year: 2015
Major: Math, premed track
Minor: None yet, but maybe economics
Hometown: Lexington, MA

What is your favorite type of Her Campus article to write?
I really like writing blog articles, especially ones about relationship or social advice. Those kinds of articles can be a little more creative and humorous than some of the other sections.

How did you become involved in Her Campus?
During my senior year in high school, I couldn’t figure out where I wanted to attend college. I searched the internet for anything that might help me make my decision and found some articles from HC Brandeis. I already loved blogging on my own, and seeing how informative and helpful HC articles were, I knew I wanted to be part of the publication.

What is your favorite type of food to eat on campus?
There’s this really delicious “dijon mustard, dill, and mushroom” soup in Usdan. It sounds kind of weird, and it looks like gray slop. But wow is it delicious. I’ve been known to eat it at both lunch and dinner whenever it’s served.

What are your hobbies?
I love to blog, fold origami, watch sitcoms, doodle, and make friendship bracelets.

Why did you choose your major?
I love math, but not the applied side of it. I don’t want to be an engineer or an actuary. I really enjoy the theoretical side of math, which is more like philosophy than accounting. Math can be crazy, creative, strange, and shocking… it’s moments when I think to myself “No. Freaking. Way.” that make me love the subject.  

Andrea is a sociology major with minors in journalism and women's and gender studies. She is currently finishing her senior year at Brandeis University. She was born and reared in Los Angeles, CA, which does mean that she is a die-hard Laker fan… Sorry Bostonians. When Andrea is not routing on her favorite basketball team, she dedicates her time to her many passions. They include reading and writing about fashion, traveling, exploring new restaurants, spending time with friends, watching reality television (she has a weak spot for Bravo), shopping, and working out.