5 Steps to Prepare for a Boston Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

It’s no secret that Boston suffered a grueling 5 months of frigid temperatures, snow banks that seemed to measure up to Mt. Everest, and public transportation standstills. Mother Nature’s wrath rattled Bostonians from near and far, and given that our down winter coats and fleece-lined snow boots were primitive, rather adaptive. As October nears, consider some of these items to stock up on now and steps to take so that you can conquer rather than fear another potentially impending ice age.

1. Fleece-lined EVERYTHING

While classrooms and dorms seem to mimic temperature-controlled saunas, trekking between classes back and forth across campus require leaving the safety of residence halls. If you’re not one to double up on pants, fleece-lined pants are an effective alternative. Also consider investing in a pair of fleece-lined inserts for rain or snow boots. While these boots often insulate well, fleece-lined inserts add one extra layer that ensure toasty toes and are easily removable upon finally reaching your classroom.

2.  Hats, gloves, scarves, toe-socks, earmuffs, ski mask, hand warmers…did I miss anything?

At home, you might be able to get away with running from the garage door straight to the car and then hopping out of the car right in front of the entrance of your destination with just boots and a coat. Friendly warning: this will not suffice on college campuses in Boston. As crazy as you might think that you look in that pom-pom topped hat or those mittens with the kitten images stitched about them, they are a critical asset to your winter wardrobe and your immune system.

3. Double-lined, extra heavy rain coat

Not only will you have to climb over snow banks, but heavy rain might precede the snow throughout the months of October and November. While ultra thin, packable rain coats are convenient and ideal for spring showers, late fall and winter will require a heavier rain coat to keep you relatively dry from mists to downpours.

4.  Extra Comforter

After enduring a day where temperatures barely reached the teens, it’s nice to cozy up in your bed, nuzzling your favorite stuffed animal, sipping hot chocolate and with your laptop comfortably on the foot of your bed. An extra comforter or fleece blanket can make your bed all the more inviting, particularly on those nights where temperatures drop below zero and you awake to an Alaskan backdrop outside your window.

5. Hot Chocolate, Tea, Hot Apple Cider Mixes

Not much of a coffee lover? Try out these substitutes to quench your thirst and soothe your chills. Not only does the taste of warm apple cider on a November day or peppermint hot cocoa on a January evening satisfy your stomach, but the aroma reminds you of all the good that these winter months carry.

Brittany is a senior at Brandeis University. She loves looking for exciting new volunteer opportunities in and around her community, spreading school spirit working in Brandeis admissions, and sharing memories from her semester abroad in Denmark. In her free time, you might find her browsing Spotify for new music, scouting out hole-in-the-wall food joints, or face-timing with her eleven year old brother. Check her out on Instagram @britt_wolfe for snapshots of her life and if you're hungry, check out her foodstagram @diningonthedaily!