kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brandeis chapter.

The end of the semester is steadily approaching, and if you’ve recently found yourself battling with anxiety and procrastination over deadlines, this article has you covered. Here are 10 stress-relieving activities that will hopefully leave you feeling relaxed and ready to tackle that term paper. 

1. New music

Having something else to focus on for a little while always helps calm me down. How about listening to that new album you haven’t gotten around to playing yet? Focus on the melody and the lyrics, or let it play in the background while you do something else, it’s up to you! 

2. Color or draw

You don’t have to be talented or creative to get satisfaction from drawing! Draw some flowers in the margins of your notes or sketch a portrait of your roommate. And if you need lines to stay in, print out some coloring sheets. They don’t have to be super complex, either! There are some really cute coloring books for kids that work just as well for college students. 

3. Clean everything  

Sometimes, to cleanse your mind, you need to clean your room. And do your laundry. And take a shower. I always feel better when my room is decluttered, my hamper isn’t overflowing, and my hair smells fresh. It’s a good way to feel productive, too. 

4. Watch a scary movie (trust me)

This one comes from our Her Campus president, Emrae. While watching something scary or suspenseful may seem counterintuitive, it actually makes sense. When you watch something soothing, your mind tends to continue to think over it, so you don’t actually get a chance to relax. But scary movies hold your full attention, allowing you to draw your focus away from the thing currently stressing you out. The adrenaline rush helps too! 

5. Change your current setting

If you find yourself zoning out while you’re trying to do work, try changing up your surroundings! Having something new to look at besides the door of your dorm room or the same bookshelves in the library can help you focus and get your work done, which can be a huge stress reliever.

6. Make a list of the things you need to get done

When we don’t have a clear idea of what we need to accomplish, it tends to feel like we have more to do than we have in reality. By making a list and emptying your mind of all your deadlines, that list seems a lot more manageable. Don’t let it bounce around in your head, put it down on paper instead!  

7. Take a nap! 

Sometimes, when your body is stressed out, you need to rest. Like, fully. So take a nap! Just not an especially long one. 

8. Sing and dance in your room

What’s better than singing and dancing along to your favorite music? It doesn’t matter how good or bad you are, just get up and move! This is a great way to get some exercise without the boringness of a treadmill. 

9. Essential oils

Essential oils can be a great investment for relieving stress. They help you breathe deeper and focus better. You can choose to get a diffuser or just apply a little straight to you skin. My favorites are lavender, peppermint and eucalyptus.  

10. Talk to someone! 

Tell a friend or a family member about what’s stressing you out, they may be able to give you some advice, or just be a source of support for you! And if you ever feel like you need more than that, don’t be afraid to seek professional help. You’re not alone in this. 

Lindsey is from a small town in upstate New York. She's currently a sophomore at Brandeis and is double majoring in english and creative writing with a minor in studio art. You can usually find her reading or watching marvel movies.
Emily Rae Foreman is a senior at Brandeis University studying Internationals and Global (IGS) studies with a double minor in Economics and Anthropology. She has been acting President of Her Campus Brandeis for two years, as well as a tour guide, an Undergraduate Department Representative for IGS, A writer for the Brandeis Politics Journal and Vice President of the Brandeis Society for International Affairs.