When Picky Eating Makes Thanksgiving Hard To Swallow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

I skipped the baby food phase growing up. Not for any true dietary restriction, but because I simply refused to eat the mushy stuff. My poor mother mashed up adult dinners to keep me fed, and I lived my happy baby life.

Growing up, my diet didn’t really expand much. I had a selection of foods I would eat, and that was it. If anything, the list got smaller over time. This not only made day-to-day meals a challenge, but holidays as well.

I think it’s pretty safe to say that I am an extremely picky eater, and growing up as a granddaughter and niece of farmers, those lovely traditional Thanksgiving dinners have always been difficult for me. I love my family to the moon and back, but the traditional recipes passed through generations were not things my pickiness could easily stomach.

Nevertheless, I still like to enjoy some of the Thanksgiving eats. While it is a lot less than most people, here’s how I make the few dishes I will eat, edible for me.

Prepare a dish

This is the easiest. I offer to make one of the dishes for Thanksgiving and make sure it is prepared in a way that I enjoy. Others don’t usually notice the difference between recipes, they don’t care how the green beans are made as long as they are there.

They get their green beans, and I also get green beans! It’s a win-win.

Start Plain!

When it comes to the big traditional dishes, turkey and potatoes, I ask for everything plain; before gravy, sauces or seasoning is put on, I get my portion and season it myself.

DIY meals are the best.

Scoop the bottom

I love potatoes, but our family does wedge potatoes with cornflakes and melted cheese on top. I don’t eat cornflakes or melted cheese, which means I have to get creative. I have figured out how to angle the spoon and scoop out just the bottom of the potatoes, avoiding the top parts I won’t eat.

If a dish is layered, it never hurts to try scooping strategically.

appetizers!!

The cold cheese, salomi and pickles are all things I can usually stomach. So, sometimes it’s best to just fill my plate with the less traditional aspects of the meal.

Protein is protein, whether it comes from a turkey or lunchmeat style salomi.

Picky eaters, I know Thanksgiving can be a challenge. It is a holiday, but don’t let anyone tell you what to eat. You deserve to like your meal as much as anyone else.

Enjoy your food! Happy Thanksgiving!

Jessica (or Jessie) and is a contributor for Bradley U's Chapter of Her Campus and an Advertising and Public Relations major at Bradley University. She loves writing a good listicle. Jessie is on the Bradley Her Campus social media team, the Bradley Speech team, and is involved in various other extracurriculars. When not running around loving her busy schedule: she enjoys reading a good fiction book, biking, sudoku, creating fake websites and flyers, and doing various little craft projects. Jessie is passionate about the power of communication and loves to write - hopefully you like to read! :)