This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

During February we celebrate the history of Black/African-American people. It is called Black History Month. For those who don’t know Black History Month is a month to remember how far Black people have come and everything we fought for. Even though it reminds us of the past and all the wrong doing towards our people, it also gives us hope to keep fighting for our rights and everything we believe in. 

Before it was a Black History Month, it was Black History Week. It was called “Negro History Week” and it was started by Carter G. Woodson. He started the week, because he wanted to celebrate Black people and their history. 

Who is Carter G. Woodson? He is an Historian, author, journalist and founded Association for the Study of African American Life and History. He spent years researching black history and wrote a vast amount of books and articles.

You’re probably wondering: Why February of all months? I know a lot of people wonder why Black History Month is the shortest month of the year. Well, it’s because Negro History Week was chosen in February because it was the month Frederick Douglass was born in. If you don’t know who Frederick Douglass is, you may need a history lessons or two.  

Frederick Douglass was an abolitionist, self-taught writer and a social reformer. He did this all during a time of slavery. He wrote narratives about the different things he experienced and what his life was like during slavery. He is one of many important people in Black history. 

And that is the main reason why Black History Month is in February. Most people think because it is Black History Month that only Black people can celebrate or recognize it. However, everyone should use this month as an opportunity to learn more about Black history, experiences, problems and the community as a whole. 

But, don’t just use it as a month of history. Try to support the black community in any way you can. It doesn’t take a lot to show appreciation. Even if you’re just researching something, you can make a positive impact. 

Kacy Hendricks

Bradley U '26

Hi, my name is Kacy. I am a journalism major. I love to write and just have fun:)