This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Trick or Treat Scooby-Doo! is the latest addition to a long line of classic cartoons. If you’re anything like me, you have a lot of fond childhood memories of watching Scooby-Doo, and watching old episodes is always perfect for the Halloween season. Luckily, this new feature film came out just in time for spooky season. 

The film follows Mystery Incorporated as they embark on another adventure; this time the gang is at a ski resort and a scary carnival, to unmask monsters. The plot is pretty beat-for-beat the same as other Scooby-Doo specials, but I believe that’s part of the charm of the series. 

The animation is also stellar in this, and the visuals are where it really shines. The characters are designed to look like their original, vintage versions, but the animation is a lot smoother and more polished. The characters move seamlessly across the screen, and its almost hypnotizing to watch. 

Of course, the biggest deal about this movie is that for the first time, Velma is confirmed to be a lesbian. For years, fans of Scooby-Doo have long theorized that the adorable brainiac was a member of the LGBTQ community, and this film finally brings it to light with her crush on a new character, Coco Diablo. I love the representation this movie brings. Velma’s crush is treated like any other romantic subplot, and her friends lovingly tease her about it. While there is a place for dramatic coming out stories, it’s even better to see queer characters flirt and have lighthearted romance with the support of the people around them. 

If you need something fun to watch this Halloween and aren’t big on horror, I recommend that you check this one out! 

Charlotte Tolly

Bradley U '25

Charlotte is a third year UX design major with a passion for art and writing. In her free time, you can find her baking, reading, or spending time with her friends.