This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

One thing we love to do at our Bradley University Her Campus chapter is host Slam Poetry Nights. They are great events where we can showcase our creative writing skills, rather than our typical technical writing that we share on our site. We can get together with other members of the campus community, and we’re able to be vulnerable while still having a great time together. We recently hosted our third slam poetry night, and it made me think about how important it is to host events like this, especially on a college campus. 

Slam poetry nights offer students more than most realize. The most overlooked part, in my opinion, is having a creative space for all majors, not just English and journalism majors. The slam poetry nights we host on behalf of Her Campus are always welcome to anyone on campus who would like to share some poetry. It reflects the core value of Her Campus onto perspective members. That core value is that all are welcome, not just writing-dominate majors. We’ve gotten a lot of really great feedback from some of the presenters. They talk about how they never would’ve had the opportunity to be so creative since their major is not driven by creativity. 

Another great aspect of the slam poetry nights is that members of campus are able to sit together to appreciate art in a fun, meaningful way that’s free. It is rare for a poem to be presented more than once; therefore, each slam poetry night is bound to be a unique experience. This makes attending each event all the more exciting. It gives you something new to look forward to, rather than just the same thing over and over again. On top of that, you’re able to hear from so many brilliant minds for free, compared to paying to see or hear art somewhere else. 

Additionally, we always try to keep it student-centered for the same reasons listed above. By doing this we give students an opportunity to workshop pieces, test the waters on something they’ve been working on, or just get creative ideas from those around them. Regardless of the reason, we always try to focus the stage time on students who are open to presenting work — even if it isn’t their own. These events create a low-pressure environment for students to practice presenting and receive feedback, all while getting more experience in front of an audience.

There are so many reasons to support those comfortable enough to share their vulnerable work. Regardless of your reason for attending a slam poetry night, make sure you take a moment to appreciate how great they are.

Kylie Kruis

Bradley U '25

I am the current president at the Her Campus at Bradley University chapter. I oversee the general operations of the chapter, run meetings, and correspond with HCHQ. Beyond Her Campus, I am also the current community service exec chair for my sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. I have been part of the organization since my freshman year after leading a volunteer group for several years prior to college. I am also the current community service outreach member for Bradley's psychology club, Psi Chi and Psych Club. As the community service member for both, I am constantly reaching out to other organizations in the community to collaborate on creating a better overall town. I am currently a junior at Bradley University in Peoria, IL, majoring in Psychology and English - Creative Writing with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies. In my free time, I enjoy hiking with my boyfriend, spending the weekend with my family and dogs, and writing short stories. I'm a new Bachelor nation fan and have extremely strong opinions about most people on them. I also enjoy several podcasts ranging from comedy to true crime. My passion lies with volunteering and being a leader for others whenever possible.