Shamrockshake
Shamrockshake
Alex Frank / Spoon

The Beauty of the Shamrock Shake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

McDonald’s Shamrock Shakes are literally my life source. I cannot describe the joy that overcomes me when I check the app and see they are available to order.

The first sip of a Shamrock Shake will completely change my day every time. Crappy day? Get a shake and suddenly life isn’t so bad. Rainbows and joy dance across your tongue.

I hear people bash the mint taste often, but personally, I am a HUGE fan.

I am picky with my mints. Polar ice, spearmint and toothpaste mint are way too intense. I stick to peppermint, sweetmint and andies candies. The mint in a Shamrock Shake is definitely a great mint to have. It is sweet and not too overpowering. It is a nice hint of mint.

The 2020 COVID lockdown hit right at the begining of Shamrock Shake season, and it was devastating. Stuck in my house without any shamrock shakes to bring light into life.

I ended up coming up with a recipe pretty close to the golden elixir that is the McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, and I am about to share the secret with you.

• Vanilla Icecream
  • Heavy Cream
  • Vanilla Extract
  • Mint Extract
  • Green Food Coloring
  • Whipped Cream

Use a blender to play with these ingredients until you find a mixture you enjoy and voila!!

It can never beat the beauty that is the traditional McDonald’s Shamrock Shake, but it may tie you over until your next visit.

St. Patrick’s day isn’t something we usually celebrate as hard as Christmas or Halloween, but these shakes give us a chance to have a little fun with the day.

I love these shakes so much I have a count each season to see how many I get. The number ends up in the 20s to 30s each year. I think it’s safe to say that the Shamrock Shake is a great marketing strategy. But, it is one I will happily fall into.

Now, go treat yourself!

Jessica (or Jessie) and is a contributor for Bradley U's Chapter of Her Campus and an Advertising and Public Relations major at Bradley University. She loves writing a good listicle. Jessie is on the Bradley Her Campus social media team, the Bradley Speech team, and is involved in various other extracurriculars. When not running around loving her busy schedule: she enjoys reading a good fiction book, biking, sudoku, creating fake websites and flyers, and doing various little craft projects. Jessie is passionate about the power of communication and loves to write - hopefully you like to read! :)