Taking Back the Night against sexual assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

If you or someone you know has been sexually assaulted, you can call the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline at 800-656-HOPE (4673) or visit hotline.rainn.org

Take Back the Night March returns to Bradley University.

PEORIA — Bradley University students are “taking back the night” in protest of sexual assault. The women and gender studies program hosted the march for the first time since 2014 on April 18, including speakers and resources for survivors.

What is the Take Back the Night March?

The march started in England in 1877 in protest of women’s inability to walk at night without being afraid. The movement took place again in 1978 in San Francisco to protest sexual assault and violence toward women. Since then, the march has expanded across the states, and universities to continue the protest against sexual assault.

Bradley University’s 2023 Take Back the Night March

Before the march started those protesting created signs to grab attention while they marched. They also wrote messages to survivors and observers on the sidewalk to grab the attention of those passing by.

The march is not only for survivors but those offering support. Charlotte Tolly, a sophomore UX design major, went to the march to support her friends.

“I chose to walk because I wanted to support a few of my friends that were speaking up that day. Also, sexual assault has impacted a lot of people that I love,” said Tolly, “It’s something that makes me so angry that getting the chance to do anything about it felt really good.”

Speakers from organizations on campus such as BU Brave Space, S.H.E. speaks, Active Minds, Greek life representatives and others shared ways to help get more attention to the issue and help create a change.

Speaker Kylie Kruis, a sophomore double major in psychology and English, with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in gender studies, spoke at the march about Greek life and sexual assault after being reached out to by her friend Natalie Jipson who organized the march.  

“I have always been passionate about sexual assault in Greek life since I am in a sorority, and I have seen it first hand with a lot of my sisters, myself, and people really close to me,” said Kruis, “so I wanted to be able to talk on it to a bigger audience.”

The director of counseling, Deborah Montgomery, reminded students that if they paid the health fee, counseling is free, confidential and available all hours of the day. The number is on the back of all student and staff ID’s.

The number is (309) 677-2700 and after hours is (309) 677-3200. Someone is always available to help.

Ann McManus

Bradley U '25

Hey!! My name is Ann and I'm a junior journalism major with a minors in creative writing and political science. As you can tell I love to write, but when I'm not, my favorite activities to is reading, crocheting, or catching up on my favorite shows/movies.<3