This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Holidays are the time of consumerism, but this doesn’t have to result in sustainability being lower on the priority list. Now, being environmentally conscious might slip your mind amongst all of the holiday stress; however, there are some easy ways to go green this season.

biodegradable beautifications

In households all over the world, there are Christmas trees from November to January. Living trees are much more sustainable than reusable ones, due to biodegradability and lack of carbon emissions in production, but they aren’t the most realistic option for everyone. Whether it be because of allergies or inconvenience, many households opt for reusable trees. One way to combat the environmental setbacks that come with a reusable tree is to continue to reuse said tree for 10 years or to buy a used one when initially purchasing.

When speaking on the topic of decor, there are other fun tricks to eliminate waste and allow for unique decor options. Upcycling found materials to make homemade ornaments or other decor is a great way to do both of the aforementioned things. It can also become a fun tradition to start with family or friends.

green giftWrapping

I don’t know about you, but I take giftwrapping pretty seriously. With this being said, this tradition can be one of the most wasteful traditions if not done with the environment in mind.

One great way to cut down on waste to save your boxes throughout the year. Whether the boxes are from online purchases or any other packaged products consumed throughout the year, they can still be used for gifting during the holiday season. You can upcycle other objects like newspapers and other paper/fabric goods to sustainably wrap and decorate your gifts. Also, after receiving gifts, reuse boxes, wrapping or bows if you can. Extending the uses of these typically disposable materials is a very intuitive way to be environmentally conscious when receiving and giving gifts.

Another option is to skip gift wrapping all together if and when you feel comfortable to do so. Some gifts are already packaged in a festive manner, so this is a somewhat realistic option. Even cutting down of boxes or labels can make an immense difference in the long run if you aren’t comfortable with ditching wrapping altogether.

non-polluting presents

It’s very easy to get carried away when it comes to giving gifts; we love to give to those who are close to us in this season. Don’t worry, there are ways to sustainable give in abundance.

First and foremost, buying secondhand gifts for your loved ones is a great option. It’s really easy to find gifts like books, records/CD’s/cassette tapes, clothes, dishes, jewelry and much more. This is an especially ideal opportunity if the person you’re buying for likes vintage or unique items. This option is also a bit more affordable than others in some cases.

Donating old items which are still in good condition like toys, books, clothes, or any other nice household items is a great way to think environmentally and reduce waste as well. You can do this by either donating to a drive of sorts or by simply donating them to a local thrift shop. This allows you to be charitable and care for the environment.

ecofriendly food habits

With so much food being made and consumed for family gatherings it can be quite easy to accidentally waste large amounts. There are ways to get around this unsustainable habit and have giving spirit around the holidays.

At large family gatherings and after a long day of cooking it can be much too easy to brush off the haste of dealing with leftovers and just throw away food that’s left, but I implore you to send home any leftovers with your family and friends. You can also give some to friends and family that might not have been at the gathering. Yet another option to reduce this food waste is to give leftovers of holiday dinners to the less fortunate (those who might be houseless or have nowhere to go for the holidays).

Another great option to cut down on the waste of unused parts ingredients like eggshells or fruit rinds is to compost them and use them in plants. This also helps with battling carbon emission in the air.

Hopefully all of you find these tips helpful for the holidays and maybe even use a few. Remember to consider the environment in your lifestyle, even the smallest adjustments can make a difference in the long run. Thanks for the read! :)

Grace Oatman

Bradley U '25

I am a Freshman Psychology major at Bradley University. I hope to be a Pediatric Psychologist. In my time with Her Campus I would like to write about mental health in our society, as it is something I am passionate about. I also do enjoy a good entertainment piece and intend to write plenty of them too. I also currently write for our twitter page; insert self-promo here: @HCBradleyU. That's all for now though. – g:)