This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

Audiobooks are real books!

I grew up loving to read. There is nothing like reading a good book. I would start a story and you would not be able to get my attention until I was finished. My teachers and parents called my name with no response, only to find me curled up, nose between pages, for hours at a time. I hid books in my lap or by my foot to read during lectures, and generally just couldn’t get out of my beloved literature.

I read the “Divergent” series in third grade and was a really huge fan of dystopias, needing fast-paced action and new worlds to captivate my interest. But as I got older, it became harder and harder to engross myself in those stories, even the hefty dystopias. I wanted to read, truly, but I would pick up a book and just keep setting it down.

I would find a good book, and get stuck putting it down.

I spent years throwing myself more in more into my school activities, finding other things to busy myself with, while only occasionally getting into the stories I used to love. It wasn’t until COVID-19 hit that I found a way to enjoy them again.

When isolation set into place, I was left to figure out who I was without all the activities I threw myself into. I was bored, and it had been a while since I had done an activity or hobby just for me. I remembered my love of reading and tried picking up books again, but I still couldn’t get into them in the way I needed to … until I tried audiobooks.

I had always refused audiobooks because “the narrator talks too slowly,” but after downloading one, I discovered the speed function. Turns out, online audiobook platforms offer options to speed up the audio.

This changed my whole life. Suddenly, I could listen to the books at two, three or four times the normal speed. As a plus, my eyes and hands were free, so I could listen to my books while doing laundry, playing sudoku … sitting in class.

I am a very fast-paced person, so as silly as it sounds, having multiple senses engaged at once helps me focus. Discovering a way to read that keeps up with my brain has allowed me to get back into the stories I love so much. I can listen on family hikes or trips to the zoo and appreciate the experience more than before.

“But Jessie … you are listening to the book, you aren’t really reading.”

This comment drives me crazy. People with vision impairments, dyslexia or other learning disorders often have trouble reading the traditional words on a page. Audiobooks offer accessibility and a different medium to enjoy so many great stories.

Listening to books is also a great way to improve children’s vocabulary. Kids who can’t read can still enjoy a good story.

There is logistical reading, including everything from articles to traffic signs, but I think reading can be abstract too. I know just as much from the book as someone who read through it traditionally. I can get through books much quicker just by throwing in my earbuds.

I love stories and avoiding eye strain, so audiobooks are a two-for-one. Reading with your ears has many perks, if you are looking for a different way to get back into reading, it might be worth a try!

Jessica (or Jessie) and is a contributor for Bradley U's Chapter of Her Campus and an Advertising and Public Relations major at Bradley University. She loves writing a good listicle. Jessie is on the Bradley Her Campus social media team, the Bradley Speech team, and is involved in various other extracurriculars. When not running around loving her busy schedule: she enjoys reading a good fiction book, biking, sudoku, creating fake websites and flyers, and doing various little craft projects. Jessie is passionate about the power of communication and loves to write - hopefully you like to read! :)