Opening The Vault From “1989 (Taylor’s Version)”

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bradley U chapter.

With the new release of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” comes new vault tracks. This time, we have five new tracks to go over and pick apart. The songs, in order, are “Slut!,” “Say Don’t Go,” “Now That We Don’t Talk,” “Suburban Legends” and “Is It Over Now?” With such intriguing titles, I knew I would enjoy all the vault tracks. Each track is special in its own way, and each emphasizes a different part of Taylor Swift’s life. Every song has its unique meaning and importance, and in this article, I will be diving deep into the tracks. Now, without further ado, let us open the “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” vault. 

“SLUT!”

Although it was nothing any of us expected, “Slut!” is arguably one of the most brutally honest love songs Taylor Swift has ever written. The fact that Taylor is reclaiming a word that has been targeted at her so many times in the past is an incredibly bold move — a great one at that. The idea of loving someone so much that it is worth all the criticism and name-calling one may receive is a beautiful concept. It is a genius move the way Taylor manages to create a song-like scrapbook featuring a collage of memories, all while simultaneously proving why the criticism she has faced has been worth it. The dual message of how loving someone is worth the hate you may face. Some love stories go so deep is something many can relate to. Since every song Taylor has written has historically been dumbed down to it simply ‘being about a man’ and how she ‘gets around,’ “Slut!” is such a breath of fresh air and truly an excellent representation of Taylor Swift’s discography. 

“SAY DON’T GO” 

The song revolves around the idea of practically begging someone to give you an answer as to why they left you. In the chorus, Taylor repeatedly questions “Why?” like a broken record. “Why’d you have to lead me on? Why’d you have to twist the knife? Walk away and leave me bleedin’, bleedin’? Why’d you whisper in the dark?” She desperately wants an answer as to why they left her, why it had to be her. In the bridge, every part she speaks has an echo to it. The echo is, as follows, “Why’d you have to (Why’d you have to)/Make me want you? (Make me want you).” The echo leads me to believe it is a mix of Taylor verbally speaking combined with how loud her thoughts are. This song leaves us on a cliffhanger as well, never giving us (or Taylor) solace with an answer. 

“NOW THAT WE DON’T TALK” 

Is this about a relationship breakup? Is this about a friendship breakup? Either way, “Now That We Don’t Talk” hits hard. This track is for the ones that have lost someone they gave their all to. The ones that not only miss who they were before everything went down but what they and someone else once had. Although this track causes emotional turmoil, it also helps people realize that at the end of the day, they realize they are better off without those people. “Now That We Don’t Talk” centers around accepting that people come and go, and the ones that are meant to stay … will stay. But this track also centers around accepting that people will go even when you are not ready for them to leave just yet. This song is the epitome of heartbreak at its finest, no matter the type of relationship. 

“SUBURBAN LEGENDS”

This song is for the ones who had to be emotionally resilient and strong in their relationship. The ones that fell head over heels for someone who was just stringing them along the whole time. “Suburban Legends” is about the consequences of loving someone and the toll love can have on you. Despite every argument, disappointment and comment from others; it would be worth it in the end. This song brings those back into a harsh reality, when you realize that the person you have built so much with and the person you have built your life around is just another chapter in your story. 

“IS IT OVER NOW?”

My personal favorite out of the vault, “Is It Over Now?” sounds like you were to go up to your worst ex and confront them personally. The anger, the targeting message, and word choice; the whole song is for those who dream of confronting those who have wronged them. The idea of not only finding out they have been cheating, but that the person they cheated on you with is your carbon copy is taunting. My favorite lyrics must be “You dream of my mouth before it called you a lying traitor/You search in every model’s bed for something greater” since they feel like a punch in the gut. If someone wrote this song about me, I would not know what to do. This is one of the best songs Taylor Swift has written about ‘revenge’ and a direct attack on someone in a while. This track feels so brutally honest, I feel as though I must apologize to Taylor herself. 

Overall, I love these vault tracks dearly. I wholeheartedly believe they were made to be in 1989 and represent the album completely. I think Taylor Swift only gets better and better at songwriting the more albums she releases, and the more vault tracks she puts out. I, for one, am incredibly thankful that these songs have finally been released to us fans, and almost resent Taylor for not releasing them sooner. The vault tracks get better and better each Taylor’s Version release, and I am thrilled to see what is next. That said, make sure to stream “1989 (Taylor’s Version).”

Laici is a freshman at Bradley University. Her major is special education with a goal to write her own children's books! She is not only a student trainer, but also serves as the community outreach for Bradley's service dog training program, Wags for Mags. Back home, she volunteers at her hometown's local children's farm.